Very angry hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three solutions one being the first one..move them and re Queen the full colony which can be awkward with angry bees as they often will not accept a new Queen..my option which I will ne doing soon with such a colony is splat the Queen and make as many nucs as I can with mated Queens.
Personally I can deal with angry productive bees but when my lady friend and dogs get stung 50yrd's away for no reason..that is when change is needed.
Good luck .

Three solutions one being the first one..move them and re Queen the full colony which can be awkward with angry bees as they often will not accept a new Queen..my option which I will ne doing soon with such a colony is splat the Queen and make as many nucs as I can with mated Queens.

Personally I can deal with angry productive bees but when my lady friend and dogs get stung 50yrd's away for no reason..that is when change is needed.

Good luck .
Thanks millet.

They were moved last night, 2.5 miles as the crow flies, and a number have found their way back today. I have left an empty hive where their hive was and will close that up tonight. Hopefully fewer will be around tomorrow.

I think a number of nucs might be a good option. As an existing hive, these things are vile and angry.

Will be trying to get my hands on some mated Queens asap.

Exactly. These bees are going for anything which moves, even when 30m from the hive.

Thanks millet.

They were moved last night, 2.5 miles as the crow flies, and a number have found their way back today. I have left an empty hive where their hive was and will close that up tonight. Hopefully fewer will be around tomorrow.

I think a number of nucs might be a good option. As an existing hive, these things are vile and angry.

Will be trying to get my hands on some mated Queens asap.

Exactly. These bees are going for anything which moves, even when 30m from the hive.

Just out of interest what bee's are they ?

Just out of interest what bee's are they ?
2nd or 3rd Gen buckfast.

They had a buckfast queen in last year, she swarmed and then they reared their own queen late in the season. This is the first time they were opened since this.

Few stragglers today have chased me up and down the garden.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Yup, back to local genetics. Second generation is 75% (minimum) local genes, 25% Buckfast.

It sounds like your local gene pool is not so good.
Moving them was the right idea .
You might find that making them produce a new queen in the new apiary more favourable if you don't want to make nucleus or don't have the equipment .
But I think others on here have give you good advice to deal with the problem .
Good luck you might find your second inspection a bit different .

It sounds like your local gene pool is not so good.
Moving them was the right idea .
You might find that making them produce a new queen in the new apiary more favourable if you don't want to make nucleus or don't have the equipment .
But I think others on here have give you good advice to deal with the problem .
Good luck you might find your second inspection a bit different .
Just to update this...

Went through the bad tempered hive today, and they were completely different. Back to the easy going bees we had before.

Really odd.

Maybe when we first opened them up and noticed they were tetchy, we should have just closed them back up for the day.

Will see what they are like over the next month before making any decisions.

Certainly need to add a second super to both hives.

So in summary, you.moved them 2.5 miles away and now they are pussy cats again?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So in summary, you.moved them 2.5 miles away and now they are pussy cats again?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yes. It could just have been a bad day for them, and I made it worse.

Today they were fine. I will see how they are next week.

Bees that defend a hive when being inspected deserve two or three chances. Bees that hunt you out at 250metres are a different matter. Defensive bees are no bad thing to a point. If they are defensive on one occasion you don't know what happened just prior to you opening them !

Glad it all worked out though. Could sense the sigh of relief!
E

Latest posts

Back