Verroa Mite 1st treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week ago I was concerned that the colony had no space so I introduced a frame with foundation on to the centre of the brood and to either side of the stores.
Today I managed to find the queen I put her on the new frame which was part drawn out and had some eggs in the cells, I removed five frames of brood and shook all the bees into the hive, I then introduced two new frames with fresh foundation on either side of the partly drawn frame and I also introduced a super frame next to the brood either side of this I placed five frames of brood......

I hope this solves it and I have learnt my lesson.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice, I hope your all there next time I fall down...

I hope this solves it and I have learnt my lesson.

So you have still not treated for the varroa? Sugar dusting frames is useful, but not too effective. If using icing sugar on a colony with no capped brood I would remove the bees (not the queen!) from the frames, roll them in icing sugar and then run them back into the colony. Then remove the first capped brood, as the last of the mites will be mostly in there. This process may not be too handy if your bees are close to neighbours as it can create a bit of bother (shaking bees into a separate box, etc). White bees stinging a neighbour are fairly easily traced to your colony, and any stinging of neighbours should be avoided, anyway.

I would suggest you use a miticide to be confident the problem has been sorted, or it will soon again be as bad as it is now. Mites approx double in numbers every month.

Oliver this is what I have done, last week I dusted them in Sugar hence the phot of all the mite on the inspection tray, yesterday I removed all the capped brood and any large larvae. I forgot to mention I have also treated them with Api Guard....

I forgot to mention I have also treated them with Api Guard....

Yes, that was an important omission!

Ok I have just visited my Bees today and there is a lot of activity outside of the hive, upon a quick inspection I have found new eggs on the week old frame (now 80% drawn out) and the two new frames I put in yesterday are about 40% drawn out.

It all looks very promising

Back