Velutina in Ambridge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
No, not more pseudo Latin drivel spouted by Boris the Johnson.
Just happened to have the Archers on yesterday when I was driving to an apiary and heard a conversation about a character that was 'attacked' by hornets the day before - now transpires they were Yellow legged hornets, the NBU has been informed and the troops are on their way to investigate and destroy the nest....................

No, not more pseudo Latin drivel spouted by Boris the Johnson.
Just happened to have the Archers on yesterday when I was driving to an apiary and heard a conversation about a character that was 'attacked' by hornets the day before - now transpires they were Yellow legged hornets, the NBU has been informed and the troops are on their way to investigate and destroy the nest....................
You can rely on the Archers. Anything - everything! - topical finds its way into the script.

Lots of them. A plague.
Joking aside, am just back from week on Jersey with a group from Lincs BKA helping volunteers track and locate nests (actually prob not much help, but learned an awful lot). Their main concern on Jersey is from low level nests in hedges. Last week two Agric workers had a trip to A&E after tangling a bit of bramble in their kit - the other end of which was attached to an AH nest. A couple of weeks before that a tractor driver flailed a hedge and nest. He was saved by having all his tractor windows closed. And last week an elderly walker was killed in France when she and others walked past (brushed past?) a nest by their path. Reports suggest she suffered an anaphalytic reaction after a number of stings. Two of her companies were also hospitalised. All that said, AHs are remarkably uninterested in, for example, people standing around bait stations they are feeding at. They only get (very) defensive if their nest is threatened.

A school friend claims he can start harvest when it happens in Ambridge.
They must use very good agricultural consultants. Let's hope no nests found in, where is it? Borsetshire. Don't listen myself.

What concerns me is the fact they have got YLHs as far north as Borsetshire!!!! 😱

Latest posts

Back