Varroa mobility on board under OMF

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When counting varroa on the board under the OMF I found a number of live mites. These attached themselves quite strongly to the tweezers I was using to sort through them, however I didn't notice any of them walking around.

I was wondering if they tend to lie in wait for passing bees and hitch a ride, rather than try to climb back into the nest from below the OMF.

Has anyone checked this? I'm thinking of using double sided tape around the edge of the board to see if I catch any trying to climb back.

If they don't try to climb back then a board underneath the OMF, cleaned regularly, would be enough to stop them, and there would be no need to take the board out.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Minimum distance between inspection board was quoted sveral years ago, supposedly to prevent varroa from jumping back to the OMF. I always tried to leave a large gap to avoid fermenting detritus due to being close to the floor with a high humidity due to water evaporation.

Try Robin Dartington's publications for details.

Leaving the board in all the time is just a waste of space. Just use solid floors if you intend doing that!

The inspection board is just that. There for occaional checks of natural varroa fall. Does a few 'still alive ' mites really make any difference? I doubt it.

I ha e never even dreamed of watching to see if a few varroa climb back. Why? Because I don't leave the board in place, more than necessary. Any that fall through are lost, but the floor has not been used forcthat specific purpose. Bottom ventilation is the purpose of the OMF. KISS principle, so why would anyone want to complicate such a simple system?

I was wondering if they tend to lie in wait for passing bees and hitch a ride, rather than try to climb back into the nest from below the OMF.

Has anyone checked this? I'm thinking of using double sided tape around the edge of the board to see if I catch any trying to climb back.
I use sticky plastic as inserts into the varroa tray so anything that falls onto it stays there and is collected for inspection on a 7 day cycle. There is a lot of other microscopic insect life that is captured this way. You'd never even know it was there unless you inspected the sheet under a microscope

Leaving the board in all the time is just a waste of space. Just use solid floors if you intend doing that!

The inspection board is just that. There for occaional checks of natural varroa fall. Does a few 'still alive ' mites really make any difference? I doubt it.

:iagree:
my biggest problem is remembering where I put the boards from last time when I want to use them

Some people lightly smear the board with vasoline or spray with cooking oil to immobilise any live ones. I'm never that organised, but do have the insert runners attached to obtain the maximum gap between mesh & tray

I use JBM's style of floor using 4"x 2". There's a 3" drop to my inspection board,,, when it's in.

Last edited:
Some time ago it was said that mesh floor saves the hive from mites, because mites cannot climp onto frames again. No one believe to that story any more.
IT was invented "happy keeper's floor" in that purpose.

More popular is nowadays "do nothing method".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back