Varroa Does Not Feed on Hemolymph.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A very interesting research presentation by Samuel Ramsey.
Well worth listening to... questions and answers at the end are also interesting.

The vast majority of mites on bees are under their belly feeding on fat body, which is broken down by enzymes, they are not classed as truly phoretic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2Xi0ST4rA&t=2s

Last edited:
Top notch, thanks for sharing

Haven't got to the end of the questions, yet, but fascinating presentation. Lots of new info - for me at least. Excellent, thanks HM

I’ve Seen Sammy a number of times. The kid is brilliant. His research has explained what’s really happening to our bees. He assigned 9 functions to fat bodies. One being immune system support. No fat bodies, no resistance to disease.

I’ve Seen Sammy a number of times. The kid is brilliant. His research has explained what’s really happening to our bees. He assigned 9 functions to fat bodies. One being immune system support. No fat bodies, no resistance to disease.

Yep.
His research has come a long way since that first presentation. It’s fascinating stuff and wonderful that the research is being done. There is so much to learn about this little insect and its foe

Latest posts

Back