Vaping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td4bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Vaped on the 20th of Dec and got a brilliant knockdown, with the three time treatment in mind vaped again on the 27th, result not a lot of varroa in 24 hours but surprisingly quite a few eggs, will try to post picture

Attachments

• 20171228_143843_wingout.jpg
    20171228_143843_wingout.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20171227_112704a.jpg
    20171227_112704a.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 75
obviously the queen dropped them, just wondering how much the vaping affects her.

Sorry i was just messing about, i have vaped many many times(not as much as some) and never ever seen harm come to a queen, let alone eggs or brood on the dance floor which i have seen with stinking thymol treatments..

Sorry i was just messing about, i have vaped many many times(not as much as some) and never ever seen harm come to a queen, let alone eggs or brood on the dance floor which i have seen with stinking thymol treatments..

I lost another queen last week to vaping, timing of queen cells can mean it was the treatment. From the pic it looks like a big cloud of vapour, do you seal off the omf?

vap

I lost another queen last week to vaping, timing of queen cells can mean it was the treatment. From the pic it looks like a big cloud of vapour, do you seal off the omf?

I don't know that I have harmed queen just the eggs on the drop board , it most likely workers throwing them out

Lots
Fingers crossed that they were brood less at your first vape which would explain little drop with the second.

I don't know that I have harmed queen just the eggs on the drop board , it most likely workers throwing them out

I wasnt refering to you, its only me that seems to lose queens with oav. did you get that good drop without blocking off the floor?

Lots
Fingers crossed that they were brood less at your first vape which would explain little drop with the second.

I would say it is worth a peek, you can guess the frame most populated would be the frame with brood, if no brood you are onto a winner.

This is one of the drops

As an inveterate counter of mites, I would say your "lots" is probably 300 - 500, which is a hell of a lot mid-winter! You've done a second count so I'd be monitoring that daily to see what is happening to the infestation. If by the first or second of January you are still getting a drop of in excess of 5 per day, I'd certainly do the third vape.

On the one hive that I've had a significant drop after the first vape on 17 December, it dropped 250 in 5 days, I vaped on day 6 and it dropped 130 in the next 6 days and if it ever stops raining, I'll go out and do a quick count to see if I'm on top of the situation after the 3rd vape yesterday.

It's a lot easier to count if you draw lines on the monitoring board to form rectangles about 75mm square. On a really heavy drop, count each square and jot it down. When you've counted all the squares, just add up the numbers and Robert is your Dad's brother. The reason for counting each square separately is that, if counting a big drop, you are interrupted, you don't have to start from the beginning again - been there, done that. I've found that mites are not uniformly distributed across the monitoring board so only counting a few squares and inflating this number in proportion to the total number of squares will not give an accurate mite count.

Some people will say "does it matter?" but as my old man used to say, "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly". Instead of reporting "a lot of mites" dropping and after treatments you had "quite a lot" and after the 3rd treatment there was still "quite a few", you can report numbers. You never know, one day some clever mathematician might come up with a model that replicates the fall of mites after a treatment and she will need our figures to authenticate her work on the mathematical model. Besides, you can draw pretty graphs of the drop, if you know the figures! :facts:

CVB

Some people will say "does it matter?

Having successfully dealt with them for the best part of 26 years I don't really view them as a problem, they are easy to get rid of, the rising problem which nothing much can be done about for many is CBPV.

Latest posts

Back