Vandalism at Northumberland Honey mating apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stan's granddaughters get their phones taken off them at the beginning of every school day......you may be right. The trauma to two well brought up rounded young ladies was a revelation. It echos still.
If kids are addicted to phones then it is only because they are following the examples of their parents and grandparents. How much time do you spend on this forum, Facebook, twitter? I've always assumed you were behind the beekeepershour hashtag.

I can't be bothered to look up the rates of vandalism, but I highly doubt they are now worse than generations before them. After all every residential street now has multiple security cameras. Every pocket carries a tracker (their phone) for their parents to follow. This generation is known as the clean living generation.

It's easy to make lazy generational statements. Kids might easily say boomers are the most gullible stupid generation ever, believing any old rubbish they see on social media.

sounds like you are suggesting that commercial beekeepers get what they disserve for running a successful business or can you clarify your statement?
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Based on the two pictures I've seen I don't see any sure signs of vandalism. What I do see is an apiary of polystyrene hives woefully under prepared for a very windy day.

I was reminded of Black Mountains 'vandalism' earlier in the year. I received similar grief for pointing out that it clearly wasn't vandalism. Which if you remember I was right. I still look back on that in disbelief. How anybody could survey the scene, see the broken tree stump and come to the conclusion it was vandals, who to cap it off, also nicked the fallen tree!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Based on the two pictures I've seen I don't see any sure signs of vandalism. What I do see is an apiary of polystyrene hives woefully under prepared for a very windy day.
I'm not the only one that read your statement and came to the same conclusion. Just maybe its the way you write if indeed there was no malice inferred. Do you know the status of the weather at the mating apiary on the day of the event and can see any 'anti-wind' protection in the grass?

Take their TVs, game things, computers and cars away.
Just their mobile phones would be enough.
That’s the issue, they’re not brought up by their parents, but nursery staff, teachers, often multiple partners and the state.
Strange really, I remember the same level of vandalism and destructive mischief when I was a kid - mobile phones, computers (and computer games) had not really been invented, in my area not many households had landlines in their homes! very few parents had cars, let alone the teenagers, and I can't recall there being many (if any) 'multiple partner' families, let alone state/nursery raised kids - in fact, there were no nursery schools period.
It's just the usual rant of the boomers and gammonista. same as their sanctimonious 'we never needed recycling in our days' post you see on social media - even though they are the ones who created the throwaway, disposable, selfish society.

on the day of the event
Do you know when the day of the event was? It was very windy there in that area on the 4th July ...see their facebook video on that day describing and briefly showing wind disturbance to some of their little nucs that day ..."bits blown off all over the place". Apparently they have over 700 of them.

Strange really, I remember the same level of vandalism and destructive mischief when I was a kid - mobile phones, computers (and computer games) had not really been invented, in my area not many households had landlines in their homes! very few parents had cars, let alone the teenagers, and I can't recall there being many (if any) 'multiple partner' families, let alone state/nursery raised kids - in fact, there were no nursery schools period.
It's just the usual rant of the boomers and gammonista. same as their sanctimonious 'we never needed recycling in our days' post you see on social media - even though they are the ones who created the throwaway, disposable, selfish society.
Gosh JBM wouldn’t have expected that from you, don’t know why.
I very much agree.

If kids are addicted to phones then it is only because they are following the examples of their parents and grandparents. How much time do you spend on this forum, Facebook, twitter? I've always assumed you were behind the beekeepershour hashtag.
I spend a bit of time here, dipping in and out. I’m a moderator. I keep an eye on things.
On Facebook and Twitter I swap stories and advice about cancer.

As for hashtags …. Never assume anything

Next…….

I make no judgement on what happened. From the evidence presented (I saw it on FB) I can't see an obvious conclusion one way or another.

I was surprised however that there didn't appear to be any evidence of the boxes being strapped or held down to the tops of the "tables" they were on. I know if I tried that here they'd be unlikely to last a month even in the Summer, given the way our weather has been for the last few years. As I've said before however, my home is on a site quite exposed to the weather and I've started strapping all my hives down permanently over the last few years rather than just during the "off-season" (at least until I run out of straps -- they're my "goto" purchase when I need to add a few pounds to an equipment order to get free postage). Perhaps it's not something that even enters the consciousness of those who live in places that are more sheltered.

James

there didn't appear to be any evidence of the boxes being strapped or held down to the tops of the "tables"
'bits blown off all over the place'
Had a flip through the NH Instagram and found only 3 showing the mating nucs, and none of the boxes showed signs of strapping or use of weight on roofs.

It's been windy here all year and terrible weather,as everywhere, but Luke at NH has been keeping bees over 20yrs, used to work at the NBU and is a trained dentist if he needed something to fall back on - they've been running apideas here since 2015, I doubt he'd only now realise they weather's worse in Northumberland than his native Yorkshire. I'd presume if he says vandalism, he'd had the common sense to ratchet them down tbf. Unaware of any vendettas or ill will (and you know how beekeepers gossip!) beyond some AMM enthusiasts disapproving of some of his more Buckfast type strains. Doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of it tbh, rural crimes often just get forgotten :-(

You started this thread about a Facebook post that you took at face value without any deeper thought?
typical allegation I'd expect from someone with your track record, it seems the only objective of you ever posting is to troll or cause discord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back