Van hire for heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As above, I'm entertaining the notion of hiring a van, probably from Enterprise, but they offer so many different sizes - I'm planning on taking circa 30 colonies to perhaps 3 different heather stands and am utterly inexperienced on guessing how many will fit in which van. I'd prefer to avoid a Luton as I've not driven anything that wide before and my hives will be an absolute mix of Abelo 12 frames, wooden Nationals, Maisemore Nationals - I've no towbar on my vehicle so renting a trailer isn't a goer, though I realise I'm probably going to have to put mesh above each colony and have them roofless as I drive, to avoid overheating. I'm travelling around 40m away max. Any experienced advice gratefully received, thanks!

moved 20 in the back of my pick up
Uniform size, Protheroe? Easy to measure up and fit.

mix of Abelo 12 frames, wooden Nationals, Maisemore Nationals
Awkward, and you will guess even when the van is in front of you. Cut out sheets of cardboard the size of these three floors and mark out multiples on the van floor; allow ventilation gaps between boxes (set out two top bars vertically between boxes).

This palaver may persuade you to make life easier and follow the mantra of beefarming: commonality of kit is paramount. (I try).

Uniform size, Protheroe? Easy to measure up and fit.

Awkward, and you will guess even when the van is in front of you. Cut out sheets of cardboard the size of these three floors and mark out multiples on the van floor; allow ventilation gaps between boxes (set out two top bars vertically between boxes).

This palaver may persuade you to make life easier and follow the mantra of beefarming: commonality of kit is paramount. (I try).
Why complicate things.Strap them and away to go.If you run omf then there should be enough space for airflow with some top ventilation.40 miles is only an hours drive.less if on motorway.

As above, I'm entertaining the notion of hiring a van, probably from Enterprise, but they offer so many different sizes - I'm planning on taking circa 30 colonies to perhaps 3 different heather stands and am utterly inexperienced on guessing how many will fit in which van. I'd prefer to avoid a Luton as I've not driven anything that wide before and my hives will be an absolute mix of Abelo 12 frames, wooden Nationals, Maisemore Nationals - I've no towbar on my vehicle so renting a trailer isn't a goer, though I realise I'm probably going to have to put mesh above each colony and have them roofless as I drive, to avoid overheating. I'm travelling around 40m away max. Any experienced advice gratefully received, thanks!

We use a pickup with taillift hired from Days rental, have to specify a towbar & use our own insurance as towing a trailer.
Have done it this way for the last four years on Borage, not sure I would take someone else's vehicle onto the moors IMHO though.
As an aside, for next year we have just ordered a RT 160 kubota loader to hopefully enable Wendy to continue without having the lifting we do currently.

Latest posts

Back