Using sublimation on a Poly hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to possibly be thick but what is the difference between vaping a wooden hive and a poly one? I have one of each but haven't tried vaping yet.
Concern over melting the poly with a hot vaporiser....the wood just scorches.
Otherwise no difference for vaping.

Bontbee, don't you find the Oxalic hits the mesh and turns from a vapour to a solid again? I tried this method on a polynuc and observed through the Perspex top. Almost no vapour appeared in the nuc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If your going to vape through the floor wait until it's warmer, like september.

I made a vaporiser thingy from an old cover board an eke and a travel kettle for the vaporiser with some metal made into a cup inside it. Cost me £3 lol.

When it's cold you have to go through the entrance. I used a piece of thin ply covered in foil as a base plate for vaping.
Must be above 4c it says on varrox instructions.
don't get me started on the recent research it's not drizzle method lol.

Bontbee, don't you find the Oxalic hits the mesh and turns from a vapour to a solid again? I tried this method on a polynuc and observed through the Perspex top. Almost no vapour appeared in the nuc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I have noticed that, but only at "low" temps. Anything above 6 degrees and the gas gets to the top of a double brood and there is minimal, if any, deposition on the mesh.

I tried again at the weekend air temp 10 degrees some gas coming up between the frames but lots condensing on the mesh, I am thinking of building a plywood eke and sublimating from the top but that will mean removing the Perspex top and disturbing the bees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 14x12's are poly with wood floors, crowns, supers and roofs.
The OAV vape under the OMF goes straight through to the crown board. Ive seen it through a perspex CB. Some does condense on the OMF so I've started increasing the dose by 50%.

image.jpg

Looks a nice location:) maybe with the polynuc the sublimator is too far from the OMF and the vapour cools. I will modify my design and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

most of mine are Poly Hives, Paynes and Maisemore, I Vape full hives through the entrance, block off with rags and support the handle of the Vaporiser with the rags so that the cup is firmly against the mesh floor, I've not had any issues with melted hives or burned frame bottoms but do get a couple of cooked bees occasionally.
For the Nucs I made an under Eke (made up name) basically a shallow box with a slot for the vaporiser at the end, the Nuc sits nicely on top and any small gaps are blocked off with Duct tape, no risk of burning anything but the wooden floor and with a gap of about 2.5 inches the vapour passes through the mesh floor well with minimal crystallisation on the mesh because of the distance.

I Vape full hives through the entrance, block off with rags and support the handle of the Vaporiser with the rags so that the cup is firmly against the mesh floor, I've not had any issues with melted hives or burned frame bottoms but do get a couple of cooked bees occasionally.

+1

Latest posts

Back