Using fishing line on frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big ears

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I’ve heard you can use fishing line on frames to support the comb instead of wires when allowing natural comb production rather than foundation. Does anyone use this? What strength fishing line do you use?

cheers

BE

8lb successfully in the past. bees dont mind

I think mine is 20lb filament, they still chew thru it if they feel like it.

I have some old braided line that I use in frames and this was chew resistant. Usually include one of these frames in each brood box so the bees can do what they want with it. Doesn't stretch as much as monofilament, so shouldn't sag as much under tension. I think it was rated at 30lb?

Thanks for the video. That makes sense. Do you bother with eyelets?

I have some old braided line that I use in frames and this was chew resistant. Usually include one of these frames in each brood box so the bees can do what they want with it. Doesn't stretch as much as monofilament, so shouldn't sag as much under tension. I think it was rated at 30lb?
That’s a good idea. Does the colour matter as have some braded backing line? It’s fluorescent yellow🙈

Hi
I’ve heard you can use fishing line on frames to support the comb instead of wires when allowing natural comb production rather than foundation. Does anyone use this? What strength fishing line do you use?

cheers

BE
What is wrong with using wire? It is easy to get holds of, stretches less, is recyclable and can be cleaned and sterilised along with the frame in boliling washing soda.

What is wrong with using wire? It is easy to get holds of, stretches less, is recyclable and can be cleaned and sterilised along with the frame in boliling washing soda.

I imagine it is harder to get taught, harder on the fingers and requires eyelets and some kind of crimping device (rather than just a nail)? Haven't tried to use it myself though.

Wire is fine, you just need a pair of long nosed pliers to get a bit of tension. I don't always use eyelets with it.

I'm making up some frames using skewers (Bamboo - The Apiarist) at present to let the bees make up as drone brood frames.

Make a little jig that applies inward pressure to the side bar, when released, the tension is maintained. A chap I knew used this method and two nails, no eyelets.

That’s a good idea. Does the colour matter as have some braded backing line? It’s fluorescent yellow🙈
mine was a dark green, last used for big Carp and Cats in France a few years ago. No experience with yellow, but people use all sorts in frames and bees usually don't seem to mind. the frames supports are mainly for the beekeepers benefit to prevent flexing of fresh wax during inspections on a warm day

mine was a dark green, last used for big Carp and Cats in France a few years ago. No experience with yellow, but people use all sorts in frames and bees usually don't seem to mind. the frames supports are mainly for the beekeepers benefit to prevent flexing of fresh wax during inspections on a warm day
👍

Nothing wrong at all. I use both, fishing line works & I have some. Wire has to be ordered in especially and is more expensive in both postal charges and per reel.

I use trace wire sometimes on recycled frames as it gives extra strength

Latest posts

Back