Using an incubator to 'bring on' Queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Anyone out there tried using an egg incubator to develop queen cells?

I tried it a while ago with huge amounts of success.

Yes, it's all i use for sealed queen cells.

I'm intrigued by this one as I have a Brinsea exactly the same as on Thorne's website.

Assuming multiple queen cells how do you separate them and how soon after emergence do you move the queens out to mating hives; basically would someone give me a brief 'how to' :)

They are already separated on the cell raising bar,i then use a castellated frame which holds multiple cell bars,all cells are caged and the virgin queens removed within an hour or so of emerging, and run straight into mating nuc's when first setting them up.
For requeening the mating nuc's after mated queens have been removed,then the cells are removed and added to these nuc's when they are ripe,ie you can see the virgin queen moving in the cell and starting to bite her way out.

Last edited:
As admin and HM suggest, a tray full of water in the bottom and keeping it topped up.
kev

I use an incubator, just like they have in thorns and would never use any system again. The cost is just €120 and you can absolutaly churn out queen cells if you want to.They hold about 40 queen cells. I have modified it and have included a few photos . on the floor i just put a sheet of mesh from an open mesh floor.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm intrigued by this one as I have a Brinsea exactly the same as on Thorne's website.

Assuming multiple queen cells how do you separate them

With the rollers on I find they sit nicely in there using the dividers that come with the incubator.

picture.php

Latest posts

Back