Use of MAQS and the occurrance of Drone layers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
20+National,commercial langstroth
For the second year running I have used MAQS in August and for the second year running almost immediately I have had Queens turn Drone layer after the application of the treatment.
Last year it was 4 out of 16 this year 3 out of 18 turned drone layer. I run both National and Commercial hives and whereas I will put the recommended 2 strips into a Commercial I will only put 1 in a national. These immediate turn to drone layers has happened in both types.
I have found that during treatments it is not unusual for the Queen to go off lay, but start immediately after treatment removal so the gap in laying pattern is obvious to an experienced beekeeper as is occurrance of of drone cells when they are sealed eight days later.
Anybody else have a similar story.

Apparently formic acid can make drones infertile, maybe in some circumstances it can have the same effect on queens.

For the second year running I have used MAQS in August and for the second year running almost immediately I have had Queens turn Drone layer after the application of the treatment.
Last year it was 4 out of 16 this year 3 out of 18 turned drone layer. I run both National and Commercial hives and whereas I will put the recommended 2 strips into a Commercial I will only put 1 in a national. These immediate turn to drone layers has happened in both types.
I have found that during treatments it is not unusual for the Queen to go off lay, but start immediately after treatment removal so the gap in laying pattern is obvious to an experienced beekeeper as is occurrance of of drone cells when they are sealed eight days later.
Anybody else have a similar story.
I used MAQS the year it was licensed in the UK...or maybe the year after...
I thought I was being "modern"
I lost 2 queens but in those days that was 50%
Time to use something else?
OAV?

OAV?

If you use nationals Vita moded the instructions I believe to using only 1 strip in these hives, 2 strips appeared to be too much for a national hive to cope with resulting in lost queens.. The original testing I believe was undertaken on langstroths which have a 25 % greater brood volume.

Yes I am aware of the change.
I looked up my records
Used in 2013. I would already be on 14x12s

OAV?

If OAV is meant to allude to Oxalic Acid , I use this in sublimated form in Feb-March but sh!! dont tell the NBU

Three hives treated with MAQS. No queen loss or laying gap.
However....... Last time I will use it as just bought a vapouriser.
E

OAV?

:iagree:

Used maqs the first year it appeared, I lost 1 from 4. Still got an almost full bucket of it somewhere

Back