University Project Needs Honey Samples

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There is an article in the Education Guardian today by Andrew Mourant called Follow the Bees. I cant find it on the internet. The University Of Wales are asking for your honey samples to be sent to Jenny Hawkins Welsh School Of Pharmacy, Redwood Building, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3NB. This is to provide material for a research project looking into the anti bacterial properties of honey to eventually combat things like MRSA.

I also read about this and I have to say the cynic it me read it as a fishing exercise to try and find the next wonderdrug that will make a pharmacutical company a lot of money.

The article I read may have got my back up a little as it was written in a way that implied the research would benefit bees.

surely they should be looking at propolis as this is known to be antibacterial.

I think I'll start a research fund 'please send me your pound jars filled with honey, no labels and I'll see how many I can sell, no refunds, sorry'. And while you are at it to make me even more happy, everyone in GB send me a £1.
Here's waiting.......
Steven

Honey has been used as wound dressing since the dark ages, Henry V was treated with honey for a facial wound.

Was he the one with a face like a shoebox?:mad::mad::mad:

I wanted to take an American girlfriend to see Henry V, but she did not want to go..........
not because she did not like Shakespear, but because she had not seen Henry 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and thought she would not get the story line!!!
bee-smillie
bee-smillie

( I wanted to take an American girlfriend to see Henry V, but she did not want to go..........
not because she did not like Shakespear, but because she had not seen Henry 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and thought she would not get the story line!!! )

I would have to side with your girlfriend, I have problems keeping up with these serials.... lol

Brian

Honey is still used in wound dressings. Particularly ulcers where it helps to clean them (then again so are maggots;)).

Back