Under super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondered if it’s about the right time to take that under super off. bees are flying well

Just wondered if it’s about the right time to take that under super off. bees are flying well
Am advised by my Buckfast mentor to leave it on so as to avoid the need to add a 2nd broodbox later.
Does that not make sense guys?

Am advised by my Buckfast mentor to leave it on so as to avoid the need to add a 2nd broodbox later.
Not really…….using a half brood is a pain for most I know. If you need a second brood use it, my buckfasts happily fill them. Trying to restrict them is not a great idea!

doesn't make sense at all, if your bees need more laying space than a single brood box affords,go straight to double brood. Which if you have a decent Buckfast queen is the wisest thing to do, otherwise, just remove the nadir and put it back over a queen excluder if they are that far progressed.

Buckfast mentor to leave it on so as to avoid the need to add a 2nd broodbox later
Nope, makes no sense: Buckfast make big colonies (triple brood by June likely) and leaving a super under is of no use whatsoever. In fact, it will prevent you making frame manipulations should you need, but the greatest irritation is that you will have the work of two boxes but the benefit of only one and a half.

I have never seen the advantage of a mentor but can imagine drawbacks, and your story is one. A positive outcome is that you questioned the advice and are now in a better position to make up your own mind. The sooner your mentor disappears in your rear-view mirror the sooner you will develop your own thinking and experience (partly by making mistakes, of course). :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back