Unaccessible bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaj

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
A friend of mine reckons he has a colony inside a roof space that only the bees can get to.

Any suggestions of how to get them out? He doesn't want to rip apart his roof!

The only sensible options are to either leave them be and live with them or to get a pest controller in to destroy them. A cut out after taking the ceiling down would be possible but I wouldn't recommend it!
At this time of year worth checking they are honey bees and not tree bumbles.

Rich.

The only sensible options are to either leave them be and live with them or to get a pest controller in to destroy them. A cut out after taking the ceiling down would be possible but I wouldn't recommend it!

Rich.

Or wasps ?

Leave them be after patiently explaining all about bees and that they aren't a problem, don't eat the house and don't drip honey through the ceiling.

Chris

Rich.

You need to ensure that if this is a last resort; that the nest is removed and burnt to prevent secondary contamination through robbing.
Only yesterday a friend informed me his B in law had builders/roofers in who'd found a bee's nest, refused to work until dealt with. Local council sent a PC, who sprayed and left, charging £80.

I currently have bumble bees in my roof /soffit. Have also recently twice been asked to remove 'honey bees' from someones roof - both times they were also bumbles.

Successfully visited and talked to another home-owner late yesterday afternoon, after explaining what was what they were happy to leave the honey bees in their wall.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I think it's great to enlarge the unmanaged feral population this way. All being well next year they will swarm and may end up back in a hive.

Chris

One of the options with honey bees is a Trap Out.

This can involve several visits to the trap and can take up to 6 weeks.

I have never done this but seems well known in US circles.

One of the options with honey bees is a Trap Out.

This can involve several visits to the trap and can take up to 6 weeks.

I have never done this but seems well known in US circles.

This is always being put forward BUT it doesn't get the Queen or the core colony, you still have to introduce a frame with eggs hence a walk away split, not a true capture of the colony and it's genes.

Chris

I agree Chris. Cut-outs aren't a barrel of laughs either.

Most calls atm are for tree bumbles...any calls from towns are suspect: FOUR yesterday and a probable. ID with binoculars is well within most householders capabilities and rec is to leave them be if high enough up. The ones we have here are very territorial from over six feet away so no fun if eye height in a small garden.

Latest posts

Back