UK grown Western Red Cedar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm having a load of local (Norfolk) Western Red Cedar milled shortly. I've had some before from the same source before, and it worked very well. The grain is wider than Canadian grown wood, but I can't find any detrimental aspects of this.

There are more knots than foreign boards the trees tend to be smaller (about 2-3 ft diameter at the largest point), but again, the knots are very stable and don't seem to affect anything...in fact they look rather pleasant.

The reason for mentioning this is that I know how difficult it was for me to find a good source of reasonably priced WRC, the foreign stuff being ridiculously expensive.

I may have a surplus, and may be able to supply those of you who are trying to find some sensibly priced wood. I've not yet worked out a price, as I need to see how much wastage there will be during milling, but if in principle you may be interested (a wild guess is that it will be 50-75% the price of commercially available foreign WRC), pleas either PM me, or let me know via this thread.

I'll post some photos asap.

Leigh

Good luck with that.

Delivery may be an issue and assuming this is for green timber. There would have been a time I would have been interested providing you were 70% cheaper than the Canadian wrc I was able to buy, mind that was a few cubic metres at a time :)

Thanks Tom! I've got about 110 cu ft - if no one else needs any, it won't be wasted! Plenty of need for it here. Mind you, with cedar supers at less than £9 from ML, I'm wondering why I'm bothering...maybe I just enjoy making hives! There is something very satisfying about seeing it through all the way from tree to hive. The main benefit is for 14x12 brood boxes, roofs etc.

I went down this route after buying Canadian WRC - from vague memory, it wasn't far off £1000 per cubic metre of rough sawn 8"x1"x8ft planks. That hurt. It was definitely "better" wood, having virtually no knots, tight grain and an amazing smell....but this local stuff does the job just as well.

Either way, it seemed impolite not to share its availability just in case. I've bought of the ride side at a very (VERY) good price. Milling estimates are also favourable, but I won't know what it has cost me till waste etc has been taken in to account. After that, I can come up with a price and we'll see if that is of any benefit to anyone other than me. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back