Types of Lemongrass Oil

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I can't remember where I read it...

...but I'm sure I read somewhere that there are a few different types of Lemongrass Oil and that one is far better/more suitable than the other/s for attracting bees to bait hives.

Anybody have any ideas or knowledge on this one?

BJD

I use essential oil from Amazon. Seems to do the trick. Coupled with some lovely black brood comb of course so which is the attractant?

PH

I use essential oil from Amazon. Seems to do the trick. Coupled with some lovely black brood comb of course so which is the attractant?

PH

Indeed! I think the brood comb definitely does the lion's share of being the attractant.

But still I'm sure I read somewhere different lemon grasses with all latin names etc and whatnot and one of them was the one you were 'meant' to use.

I pinch it!

Haven't a clue what/where it comes from.

Just know that SWMBO uses it in her soaps and doesn't miss the odd 5MM, (thinks it evaporates quicker that other essential oils)!
;)

I used naissance lemongrass oil from Amazon last year, The oil was in an empty bait hive, as I had no comb & I caught a swarm.
It’s about £5.99, I only put about 4 to 5 drops in.
Good luck.

PH

How do you use the oil? A few drops on the comb? On the frame? On the trap itself?

Consider I'm placing my first traps this year, and I'm using poly nucs.

And when would be the best time to put bait hives and swarm traps out? End April? I assume the essential oil doesn't last for ever.

And when would be the best time to put bait hives and swarm traps out? End April? I assume the essential oil doesn't last for ever.

When your own hives are building nicely. I put the lemon grass oil onto some absorbent card and top it up every couple of weeks

Latest posts

Back