Transporting a test frame.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davelin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I may need to put a test frame in the hive in my garden if I see no eggs when I look on Weds. Suspect they may be queenless.
Only trouble is I will have to get one from my out apiary which is about 15mins drive away. Temp is forecast 17/18 (for what it's worth).
Will this work? any tips, snags etc?

Thanks guys.
Will give it a go if no eggs, but hopefully won't need to.

Two sheets of polystyrene will also keep it warm, i.e. one each side sandwiching the test frame.
Andy

I hope you do better than me: I put one into what I thought was a queenless hive on Saturday and checked it today. Every single cell on the frame that wasn't honey, and which previously contained eggs and very small larvae, had been cleaned - they'd eaten the lot!! I guess that means they have a queen and no tolerance for aliens! :) No panache, those bees.

I transported a test frame 20 mins by car wrapped in a damp towel, no problem. All of the comb, except for wire, were eventually capped. I've put in three test frames this year, and on each occasion when checked a few days later there have been no cells and a newly mated queen on the frame!

Back