trailer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
i have been given a small trailer to tow being my car, does anyone know the rules regarding trailers, if i refurb the lights and make sure its safe. is it ok to use?

Here's the official line...

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

one thing that isn't mentioned, if it is a small trailer (less than 750kg) and you can see the licence plate, and stop, brake and indicator lights on the towing vehicle from the rear, then there is no need to have a trailer board - but make sure the same applies when the trailer is loaded.

good info.... i passed my test before 1997 so no problem there..... my thought where more about the safety and reliability of the trailer, do they need a MOT type thing?

My not be applicable but check your insurnce covers you for towing.

Basically a small trailer needs very little other than a pair of wheels and mudguards! Tyres must comply, and it must be used for the purpose it was intended, no unsafe loads etc and no people etc. but apart from that........when you get to larger trailers then lights and brakes become an issue.
E

I have towed trailers all over the UK and never had any problems. I would say the one thing that is probably most likely to raise your profile if if your load is bouncing out of the trailer. Making sure things are tied down is probably the most important day to day procedure. I also always check lights before every use.

My not be applicable but check your insurnce covers you for towing.

very good point, dont assume you are covered, see gocompare site that did a survey 78% did not give tailer cover automatically

http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/towing-guide/

also you need due dilagence on the condition of the trailer ( ie perished tyre etc) as you could be seen to be negilent and again not covered

good info.... i passed my test before 1997 so no problem there..... my thought where more about the safety and reliability of the trailer, do they need a MOT type thing?
No MOT needed in the UK (or EU). What they do need is a plate with maximum load etc. Exact details required depend on date of manufacture but if it's a commercially made trailer it should be OK if it's as it was built. Your responsibility to ensure it is maintained adequately and has correct fittings, e.g chain, lights, mudguards, tyres, number plate. Also your responsibility to check towing vehicle for weight, plated towbar, working lights socket and so on. You do still see some dodgy looking arrangements on country roads with cardboard hand written number plates on ancient hardware.

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/ has most of the detail in one place.

The car towbar also needs consideration.
Obviously it needs to be secure, etc, but (IMHO strangely) some modern small cars are not supposed to have them fitted - ie it is not part of the vehicle's "type approval" and you'd get into all sorts of do-do if you bodged one on.

The vehicle handbook should give the specifications for maximum trailer weight. For some cars it is actually nil.
Which is a pity, as a small car can suffice most of the time, and an occasionally-attached trailer would provide for those occasions when more capacity was required.

I believe modern driving licenses are more restrictive of trailer weight than my antique one. But for a 'small' trailer, that shouldn't be a problem. Age comes into it too ...
Worth a look at https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules

Oh, and do find an after-hours supermarket carpark in which to practice a bit of reversing before you encounter a situation in which you need to reverse the thing. Not difficult, but a little practice is a great help!

Quite apart from wheels detaching, it would be worth pre-planning what your response would be to a trailer puncture. Do you have a spare? A jack? Or even a foam aerosol for when you notice it and stop in time?

Quite apart from wheels detaching, it would be worth pre-planning what your response would be to a trailer puncture. Do you have a spare? A jack? Or even a foam aerosol for when you notice it and stop in time?

No problem if you're being paid by the hour.

Also, are you covered for a trailer/caravan by your recovery company?

As mentioned before brakes are not required for trailers under a gross weight of 750kg. If more than that you require brakes and a means of applying the brakes if the trailer come off the car ( a chain from the trailer brakes to car)

I would buy a lighting board to tie to the trailer (lights are the biggest problems with a trailer) and this is the simplest way to fix lighting problems.

Trailers must have mud guards, a number plate which corresponds to the towing vehicle.

Also worth having a spare wheel, wheel brace for the trailer and a jack which can be used on the trailer (check if the car jack will be suitable),

Securing the load is important, use ratchet straps etc.

Mike

I don't know anything about trailers. Is there a 'buyers guide' somewhere? What's best regarding wheel size, suspension etc? I'd only be wanting something fairly small - to move no more than six hives. Any pitfalls buying used?

would not buy a used small trailer as they are usually abused by carrying too much weight. The wheel bearing may knackered, the light may be unreliable

To carry 6 nationals you will need a bed size of 3 ft 6 in x 5 foot. I would suggest you have a look in your local Halfords to get an idea of what's on the market.

http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/shop/6/478/484/537/543/index.htm

THis is similar to what you want but the width may be a bit narrow.

Mike

if your car is not fitted with towing equipment or got towing fittings as standard, and you go and get a tow bar fitted check with your insurance as you insurance will invalid, anything that is not standard is an extra which needs reporting, how do I now was hit by a car towing a trailer and his insurance said they could not handle the case as his insurance invalidated due to unauthorized modification I had to take him to court to retrieve damage costs

Latest posts

Back