totally gob smacked!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wanted to share my good fortune with someone, sorry folks I dont have many friend so you have got lumberd!!

I recently bought a couple of ply hive kits to make cheap bait hives, a local chap to me has had a few problems recently and has started keeping bees as a way of taking his mind of problems. He is a nice chap and alway has a smile. Anyway he doesnt have internet access and limited information, bar what his "mentor" gives him, tbh doubt if he would pester anyone for information. he was telling me how he planned to make his own hives as he could believe the prices for new ones, did i know of where to get plans? Instead I showed him the ply set up and let him borrow it to give him some help.

I dont mind putting things together, but when i recieved a txt asking if i minded him putting it together :rolleyes: it was a hard decision!!! Well I have been away for a couple of weeks he knew I was returning on sunday and i had lent him a flat pack omf.

sunday afternoon on my door step I find a whole hive omf brood b super crown and roof. Not a badly built imo from all pine, omf had an added ramp on the base and there was also a nice entrance block.

Gave the chap a call telling him that I thought it was a good start (few minor tweeks needed) and how much was he looking for it? Fell off my chair when he said nothing! really touched by his offer and have put an order in for one for the lady whos bees i look after as it is a better set up then the ply option but cheaper than a build it yourself Th*****. he said it was a thankyou for the help me and other half had given him recently, dont think we have done much, except friendship and time but it obviously meens something to him. makes me realise that sometimes there is more to life than our daily mad rush and money chasing antics. Annoyed however that it took the gift of a hive to make me realise it! (not that I am complaining though!)

Great stuff Mel:.) Cant believe you dont have many friends, think you mean not on your doorstep:.)

not many people that i see to talk to on a regular basis life too anti social, but yes do have some good friends dont think many except those on here would appreciate the hive thing though!

how touching ,he really must have appreciated your kindness a nice way to reciprocate, sometimes in life we dont realise how much we mean to others even if it is just a listening ear

There are indeed some wonderful people out there.

Good luck

PH

Great story Mel

There are such nice people in our midst and one is my beekeeping mentor JS Wass, since moving here he has taught me many skills a few of which I share the items I have made here on the forum.

The magic word IS reciprocacy without having to ask or beg for it, My Grandfathers motto was always, "To help those who want to help themselves" and with this mindset we hopefully go on to do the same for others, it's like the old saying, give a man a fish to feed his family for a day, learn him how to fish and he feeds them forever.

You could always invite him round for a family meal, group therapy at its best around the table of freinds, instead of Avatar.

It's so refreshing to read Milkermel's story having seen on the forum so many reports of thefts and vandalism and troublesome neighbours.
Treasure that friendship, Mel.

Good to read it Mel - what goes around comes around.
I spent my childhood thinking I didn't have friends, it wasn't till afterwards I realised that I had quite a few, I simply didn't recognise them as such, and hadn't offered them my friendship. (None so blind . . . )
Make sure you're not missing the ones that are there, but you certainly made the right moves this time!
Lovely story.

Great story Mel.:)
Worth bearing in mind when the media continually tells us that our society is disintegrating - we can all make a difference with a bit of kindness.

Great story, nice to know there are good people left in the world.
We had a bit of luck too, got talking to a lady via our local freecycle site and she asked about our allotment and bees and had a great talk about gardening and wildlife. She decided she would like the tv cabinet we were offering and by way of a thank you gave me a 10 foot by 3 foot poly tunell with mesh and palstic ! really well made, and she threw in a poly carbonate cold frame as well, all free :)

http://www.landshare.net/users/guy-and-tracey/blog/18092011-a-garden-tidy-and-a-new-polly-tunnel/

Great story Mel.:)
Worth bearing in mind when the media continually tells us that our society is disintegrating - we can all make a difference with a bit of kindness.

We put GBH

Never a truer word spoken about most of our MSM and why we retired our square window many years ago.

What is it that Obama once said, "Yes we can".

Great story, nice to know there are good people left in the world.
We had a bit of luck too, got talking to a lady via our local freecycle site and she asked about our allotment and bees and had a great talk about gardening and wildlife. She decided she would like the tv cabinet we were offering and by way of a thank you gave me a 10 foot by 3 foot poly tunell with mesh and palstic ! really well made, and she threw in a poly carbonate cold frame as well, all free :)

http://www.landshare.net/users/guy-and-tracey/blog/18092011-a-garden-tidy-and-a-new-polly-tunnel/

I soooo love freecycle, that has got to be the best grab Ive heard of though, it is great when things like that work out

Latest posts

Back