Top Tips for Saving Money in this fairly Expensive Hobby ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't overfill your jars of honey. Weigh every jar of honey as you fill it. I fill to one pound, plus ½ ounce / minus nothing (labelled as 454g).

keep using this Forum,,,,,brilliant,,,,,,,,,most of the time !

And as a bonus you get real live lessons in how to conduct an internet war...:paparazzi:

Don't overfill your jars of honey. Weigh every jar of honey as you fill it. I fill to one pound, plus ½ ounce / minus nothing (labelled as 454g).

if labelled 454g it must be 454g not plus 1/2 oz. Trading standards can prosecute for over weight as well as under weight. Also for every 36jars your giving away another jar for free so hows that saving you money.

No, that's a myth which nees to (and I thought had) be put to rest

When I had my shop trading standards prosecuted a bread supplier that I used for producing bread that was over weight.

bread, jars of honey, jars of jam, fresh or packaged meat it don't matter to trading standards if they are not the labelled weight they can prosecute. Their first point of call would be to ask the reason, then check scales are correct then if either of these are not acceptable to them then they may prosecute.

bread, jars of honey, jars of jam, fresh or packaged meat it don't matter to trading standards if they are not the labelled weight they can prosecute. Their first point of call would be to ask the reason, then check scales are correct then if either of these are not acceptable to them then they may prosecute.

when did you have a shop?

No, that's a myth which nees to (and I thought had) be put to rest

Extract from a weights and measures guidance note. Specifically note the reference to short measures, and no reference to long measures. Bread has its own specific regs which don't apply to sale of honey (obviously).

"Three Packers Rules
These set out 3 rules that packers and importers must comply with:

the contents of the packages must not be less on average than the nominal quantity
the proportion of packages which are short of the stated quantity by more than a defined amount (the ‘tolerable negative error’) should be less than a specified level
no package should be short by twice the tolerable negative error
They provide protection for consumers on short measure."

From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ed_Goods__Regulations_2006_v.3_March_2015.pdf

Extract from a weights and measures guidance note. Specifically note the reference to short measures, and no reference to long measures.
"Three Packers Rules
These set out 3 rules that packers and importers must comply with:

the contents of the packages must not be less on average than the nominal quantity
the proportion of packages which are short of the stated quantity by more than a defined amount (the ‘tolerable negative error’) should be less than a specified level
no package should be short by twice the tolerable negative error
They provide protection for consumers on short measure."

From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ed_Goods__Regulations_2006_v.3_March_2015.pdf
Yes, these rules hold if you have the 'e' mark on the label, otherwise if you stet 454g then the weight must be 454g.
If you have the 'e' mark and some jars are under weight (but within the tolerance) then other jars must be overweight to bring the average up to the weight stated.

Easier to go for minimum content = X

Weights & Measure - Packing Goods
Weights & Measures Act 1985
Packaged Goods Regulations 2006
Goods that are sold in packages by weight or measure can be packed either
to minimum quantity or to average quantity.
Minimum Quantity
For minimum quantity each pack must contain at least the quantity marked on
the pack (the nominal quantity). Each package is made up on a machine
which must be tested and approved for trade use. You do not have to use
equipment but if you estimate the quantity incorrectly you will have no
defence.

Always mix your own sugar feeds and source cheap sugar rather than buying premixed.

Don't buy gadgets I.e frame holders

Make your own crown boards, floors and roofs (if using wood)

Mix your own treatments,l. A packet of oxalic crystals will last years and is not difficult to mix. Follow hivemakers treatment recipes.

Visit your local beekeeping supplier rather than paying delivery if it is more economical, I.e petrol costs. Better still buy from the conventions in bulk. Don't leave supers full of honey when a brood box will do. If you have good strong ivy flows, don't be afraid to take all of the summer crop.

Insulate.

1994-2007

got trashed by Tesco, landlord, and the crash. wiped out my trade by 60% over xmas. 12 people lost their jobs and I lost my home.

Hard luck, but it makes me wonder why you'd endeavour to make some money in the pure gambling world of beekeeping?

Hard luck, but it makes me wonder why you'd endeavour to make some money in the pure gambling world of beekeeping?

because I want to.

its the same as any business they are all a risk. but with this one I have not borrowed any money and never will. it will expand only when it pays for its own expansion. Also I doubt it will ever be a full time business there will always be a bit of back up employment.

Last edited:
Back