Today's lesson

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SER

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today my bees taught me the value of putting a queen excluder under a hived swarm.

Mid afternoon the swarm I hived yesterday flooded out and flew around for about 10 minutes, as I was standing there thinking 'oh bu***r' and waiting for them to settle they all returned to the hive, formed an orderly cue and marched inside. Thank god for the queen includer!

It was the first swarm I have dealt with and I will certainly continue to use a queen includer in the future!

Si.

Okay as long as they don't have a virgin queen that needs to mate.

remove the includer after a couple of days and then they are more likely to stay and she'll still be mated. Where's the problem? Either that or they are trying to loose the surplus queens?

I was planning to remove it in a day or two, they have some syrup on so I thought I would give them a few days to draw some comb and then hopefully they'll be more inclined to stay.

Si.

You could always add a frame of brood to help them stay around.

That was going to be my next move, I'll see how they are tomorrow and give the brood if needs be.

Thanks Si.

Latest posts

Back