To unite or not?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

steveselvage 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I have a very strong colony in a commercial brood with a 2009 queen,they tried to swarm constantly in may so i did an a/s and they settled down.
They have filled four supers with the fifth partially capped.
I also have a colony that appeared in a bait hive with a new queen and they have been building up at an amazing rate, they also seem very gentle and need only a whiff of smoke, never complaining about my clumsy inspections.
I am considering what to do next regarding the 2 year old queen, should i let her overwinter or should i unite these colonies and keep the young queen?
Would there be any advantage in having a younger queen?
Should i overwinter them both as insurance?

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
You do not say how many colonies you have? It would be bonkers (IMO) to unite and over winter a single colony irrespective of how old either queen is. If that becomes your only colony.

If you have multiple hives, can aford to drop one and have a new 2010 queen (of what ever source) with characteristics that you would like to bring forward then why not unite, afterall you already have a respectable crop from the hive in question and balance between current performance and future potential is a valid consideration

Latest posts