Tiny prime swarm or what ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarda

House Bee
Reaction score
I couldn't help but take a quick peek at a swarm that was caught a couple of days ago in bait box and placed that evening in a nuc. It only covers a couple of frames , ah a small caste I deduced but on closer look saw eggs ( I was lucky to have some drawn comb to give them ) and lo and behold there she was! A beautiful laying queen. So my questions are is it common to have such small prime swarms or indeed is it not a prime one but something else ? Also is it possible to estimate the age of a queen ? Thanks as usual for any input.
Dave

They could have been depleted by exposure outside for a few days
I hope you’re feeding them.
Yep I gave them a frame of stores and pollen patty and lime and brambles are flowering round here at the moment . So , can I check that Ive got this right Dani. A larger prime swarm could of left a colony and ended up who knows where for a period of time and whilst awaiting for scouts to find a des. res. ( my bait box) they fell foul of the weather ( we have had some pretty heavy showers) ?

Could have absconded from a beekeepers mating nuc.

I picked up a prime swarm from a wild colony 2 weeks ago .. barely the size of a tennis ball.. nice queen and laying nicely.

Sounds like it is big enough to become viable. May need to boost with some emerging brood in due course.

Thanks for your thoughts Ian,Vortex and Beeno-much appreciated.
Dave

No problems spotting the Q there. What did you do with them?

I made a nuc up and popped her into an introduction cage.
I still have her.
There are more bees in the “wild” box

The best part!!

Aren’t we all softies?
I saw them in the air. They must have been a last desperate attempt to survive. I can’t get into the wild box so don’t know what happened in there. Starvation? Those few bees did well for her and saved their genes.

Latest posts

Back