Timber

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Can anyone help please

I would like to make some hives out of pine, I can plane it up, saw it up and all that but not sure which is best to buy from the timber merchant. Planed or unplaned planks? Cheaper unplaned I expect & re-saw it after but would like to know how others do it.

Thanks

Why not buy cedar - lighter and longer lasting (and more expensive)?

R2

Cheaper unplaned I expect & re-saw it after but would like to know how others do it.

The cheapest way if you need a lot is to buy the trees, and process them into the size of boards you need.

Last edited:
I have used cedar deeps with an added eke (softwoods mostly) for broods, as they are competitively priced and 14 x 12s are not quite so. The boxes are perfect dimensionally and reliable to assemble from the flat pack

I have started to make supers as they need not be on the hive all the time. Even so the width of finished board is just an awkward size.

I may just convert to poly for the future. For the ekes, PSE (as standard timber is almost the right size) or saw and plane myself. Don't really bother which. The last ten ekes, floors and roofs were saw and plane myself. The stands were sawn and PSE, and the feeders were PSE.

I would think there should be a lot of jointing of boards (edge to edge) for stock PSE for 14 x 12s or expensive in wider widths.

With a competitively priced poly brood around, I dont think they can be beaten on price and convenience. The rest of the hive is just bits and pieces, really, so saw and plane is the order of the day for the rest of it, or cut from PSE if it can be got at the right price - as I said in another thread, the individual bits are mostly less than about half a metre, so some longer lengths, with a shake or two, or a slight twist, can sometimes be obtained for a good price.

RAB

I am assured by my cabinet maker friend that (presuming you don't have the saws etc to deal with a tree and time/kiln to season it ) the cheapest way is go to a sawmill with your cutting list. Ask for wood to cover the cutting list, that is if you want a 12" plank they can give you 3 X 4" or 2 x 6" or what ever for you to glue together. Also rough sawn not planed all round (PAR)

However if you haven't the machinery/tools/skill to deal with that still go to the sawmill their wood will be better/cheaper than the DIY "sheds".

Latest posts

Back