Three swarms later....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vermillion

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
WOW!!!

Three months ago, I started with my lovely simple, humble Langstroth full deep "Hive A" with nice bees and a marked Italian Queen.

They bubbled over and I added a deep super about a month ago, no excluder.

Swarm cells burst forth, so I split that one just a week or so ago, pulling the swarm cells and a few frames into one box and moving it nearby...now called Hive B...

BUT back to Hive A....

This weekend Hive A swarmed TWICE right under my nose, as i was gardening nearby.

Saturday I actually caught them in a swarm trap and put them in a Top Bar Hive, but they waved to me and blew kisses as they went back into Hive A over the course of the afternoon.

Sunday morning, they again swarmed overhead (impressive!!) as i was gardening, waved again, and went back in as we watched, after only about 20 minutes. They pretended nothing had happened, and we all went about our business.

Sunday afternoon I inspected the hive hoping to find the marked queen that came with the hive, and hoping also to figure out what was happening. Three frames in I was up to 8 supercedure cells, several of which were capped, zero swarm cells...

and then suddenly....

I heard piping!!! Clear as a (tiny) bell. Twice. It was amazing!

I closed them up and thought they should be left to handle it themselves, clearly, they have read more books than I.

Monday morning, today, I put my ear to the box and heard two if not three distinct pipings, overlapping; I could also make out a big scuffle on the bottom screen board.

I did some chores and headed down to get my swarm trap up.

And ran smack into a cloud of bees pouring out again!!! POURING OUT.

Those bees laughed at my swarm trap, had some fun circling over my neighbors yard where 5 children were playing, toyed with the idea of settling on my patio, terrified the horses, and then kindly settled on the ground and in a bush at the corner of the riding arena not 20 m from their original hive.

Bless them for that.

I gave up on the top bar hive idea, and quickly made a "faux" deep out of two medium Langstroth boxes, and put two frames of nectar in from the deep box that is Hive A, their former home.

I shook the main ball into the box, put a top on it, made a ramp for the stragglers on the ground and hoped for the best. I did not have the energy to chase them again.

It was marvelous watching ALL the stragglers march across the ramp into the box.

By evening, I am happy to report, finally, they are apparently settled. I saw foragers return with pollen at dusk. I think they must have a queen with them this time....

And Hive A still has a piping queen, at least one. I did not hear any answer though.

I am exhausted.

Last edited:
Stick a queen excluder under the bees for a couple of days and...

...you shouldn't feed swarms normally for three days (to use the honey that may contain spores of AFB etc on wax-making) but seeing as you know the source it's up to you. Adding a frame of young brood is also supposed to hold swarms.

It is also advisable to take advantage of a lack of brood in a swarm situation to treat for varroa. You will find very few if any at all but rest assured they are on the bees just waiting to enter larval cells and multiply fast. Oxalic acid is the thing - drizzling or vapourising.

Latest posts

Back