Thought my hive had died, but then...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkyle69

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
About 6-8 weeks ago hive activity again, this was too early and when I came back from holiday there was nothing going on, basically the whole colony was dead. It was absolutely crap weather so I just left it, completely hacked off as you can imagine, I have just gone back today to find bees coming in and out (same kind, Buckfast). I was shocked and stunned I had the gloves on to remove all the mess.

Question is, what do I do now? I only started last year, do I buy another nucleus or a single queen, I am feeding them sugar syrup again to keep them gonig but is this just an accident and are they still doomed or should I check them in a week again?

I have not looked to find a queen, I assumed she would have been dead as there was nothing going on a while back (must have been dead, I simply cannot see any other option)

Any help and advice would be really good as I'm stumped what to do at the moment

if the hive had died , then thats a new swarm you have.

you they must have been dead that implies you didnt look inside.

Was thinking that, but they look the same buckfast bees to me but I can't imagine they have anything to do with the old colony as they were definitely all dead. I think it's unlikely they are from the same colony, going to check if I can find a queen but may have got lucky with a new lot passing by but would the likely be the same type though?

I did look inside, and it was filled with thousands of dead bees, seriously there was no activity in the hive whatsoever

then it looks like you have caught yourself a swarm

What do you reckon the chances are that they swarmed leaving the rest behind only to return, seems a long shot but I'm surprised they bothered as it was full of dead/rotten bees by the time the bad weather has passed and I have gone back to clean it all down?

Are you confident you have a colony in the hive and not just bees robbing out the hive and returning for the syrup?

Latest posts

Back