Thornes foundationless frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ... But why bother paying a premium for these ? Just buy normal frames and either use starter strips of wax or cut the strips off that hold the foundation in place and use one of them as the starter strip. You can bet that you won't find foundationless frames in the sales.. whereas 'normal' frames you will.

I use standard (seconds) frames with a couple of 3mm bamboo skewers to provide a little more support for the comb and lolly sticks/tongue depressors held in by the wedge to give an "edge" for the bees to work from. Last time I checked what Thorne were charging for their "foundationless" stuff I was horrified by the cost even compared with "non-seconds" frames.

James

If one has some manky comb , cut it all out bar a strip along the top as this is already well secured. The bees during a flow and esp a swarm will draw out nice comb but one can expect at times more drone comb then normal.

If one has some manky comb , cut it all out bar a strip along the top as this is already well secured. The bees during a flow and esp a swarm will draw out nice comb but one can expect at times more drone comb then normal.

Or, depending on which way you look at it, they'll draw out a normal amount of drone comb :D

James

Latest posts

Back