Thornes, Budget hives and delivery times.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its selling privately and is £10 cheaper than big t. It is one of big t's bees on a budget hives though.

I rang this morning and was told they have them in stock and I'll definitely have it by Friday. Bought one of those water bottle feeder gadgets too.
People who said I don't want to drive around any more after a long journey are right. I think it's about 5 hours to London. I have a couple of lighting packs I need to drop off for repair and then I don't plan to do any more driving until I load up 200 litres of wine and the hive and make the return Journey on Monday.
I think I'll use the flat pack hive as a template to make one from scratch myself between now and the summer as well. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I rang this morning and was told they have them in stock and I'll definitely have it by Friday. Bought one of those water bottle feeder gadgets too.
People who said I don't want to drive around any more after a long journey are right. I think it's about 5 hours to London. I have a couple of lighting packs I need to drop off for repair and then I don't plan to do any more driving until I load up 200 litres of wine and the hive and make the return Journey on Monday.
I think I'll use the flat pack hive as a template to make one from scratch myself between now and the summer as well. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

It may have even been prepacked and waiting for you to phone, as Gill often reads the forum LOL

And early birds the other day would have spotted a post from someone at thornes on this thread but later removed

Nothing to shocking Craig just a bit of information about availability of the hive and a nice plug for thornes and as a result over stepped the no advertising rule.

I got a PM from Gill about my post. She mentioned she had posted on this thread but it had been deleted. She let me know what I wanted to know about delivery times.

So the hive arrived in plenty of time in London. Only problem was I ordered two other items as well and they didn't arrive with the hive. I've contacted Thornes twice about this and they haven't bothered to respond to my emails which is pretty disappointing. I don't think I would order from them again given their customer service seems nonexistent.

Did you phone them ?

I sent them an e mail this morning got an answer in about 10 minutes.

Craig

Last edited:
Maybe you've just been unlucky as I've always had prompt email replies or phone calls returned from them. Usually very very helpful. Perhaps as Craig says - give them a bell?
JM

... I've always had prompt email replies or phone calls returned from them. Usually very very helpful.

I think it can depend on who picks up the phone. I've had very curt responses to queries about orders that have gone wrong, so much so that I felt they didn't much care about my custom and didn't want to fix it unless I paid them more money. It's happened more than once.

I've always found customer service at Thorne exemplary.

Caddon Hives and Amazon do a cheap National hive with two supers
Made in China £107 or £120
they do cheap (relatively) WBC as well made in Cedar
Haven't bought any myself just for info

By the time you add in frames and foundation for brood and 2 supers its not worth it. Although the hives from caddon are NOT seconds and are very well made.

I've always found customer service at Thorne exemplary.

:iagree:
North and South. Not just into their products, but their livestock too! Never seen a sign of fatigue about, no doubt, answering the same question 1 million times!

Latest posts

Back