Things From Beekeepings Past

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apismanUSA

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello All, I am a collector of beekeeping's history and new to this Forum and thought I would start off by tll langstroth cottage.jpg

ll langstroth cottage pic.jpg

ll langstroth cottage pic 2.jpg

ll lang plaque side a.jpg

ll lang plaque side b.jpg

ll langstroth cottage pla.jpgalking about Beekeeping's history and showing some photos for everyone's enjoyment.

The Langstroth cottage is located in Miami, Ohio on what is now the campus of Miami University. I have LL,s Park bench from his home garden in our museum. There is an artist rendition of the bee space concept that was made for the house dedication.

Last edited:
Nice Picture of Buckfast Abbey. Brother Adam!!! I know a little bit of the history there.Isle Of Wight disease. Some here think that it was Tracheal mites. I saw some old film footage of the Isle Of Wight disease and it looked like there were lots of dead bees piled up on the bottom board. When we experienced Tracheal mites causing problems we had just empty hives with no bees in it dead or alive. This was back in 1988 - 1990.

The Langstroth cottage is located in Miami, Ohio on what is now the campus of Miami University. I have LL,s Park bench from his home garden in our museum.

Richard Beck New Milton WV from Early 1800 Cabin.jpg

This is a hive which I just acquired from a man in West Virginia, USA. It dates to sometime in the late 1800's. It was on the back porch of a 1700's log cabin which was on some land he bought some 60 years ago.

This is a hive which I just acquired from a man in West Virginia, USA. It dates to sometime in the late 1800's. It was on the back porch of a 1700's log cabin which was on some land he bought some 60 years ago.

Interesting photo. How do the dimensions compare with modern Langstroths? How thick is the wood?

Welcome ... always nice to hear from our colleagues over the pond - nice to see that the USA are preserving some beekeeping history.

Nice to see recognition and commemoration of a prominent beekeeping figure. It is amazing that the hive illustrated has survived in what appears to be an untreated & unpainted state. Being on a porch has undoubtedly sheltered it. Does the museum host other Langstroth relics?

Interesting photo. How do the dimensions compare with modern Langstroths? How thick is the wood?
I have not measured the frames in the hive, but they look to be Langstroth inspired in size and construction. The hive is a one piece two level box, plus the outer cover. The two levels, each have frames which are manually spaced and run in opposite directions from one another. I will have to take some pictures of the inside sometime and post them.

Nice to see recognition and commemoration of a prominent beekeeping figure. It is amazing that the hive illustrated has survived in what appears to be an untreated & unpainted state. Being on a porch has undoubtedly sheltered it. Does the museum host other Langstroth relics?
Yes, We have some other things. A few hives which he made and advertised for sale, a smoker, an honey extractor, and an envelope which is embossed with his company information - queens and equipment for sale and a drawing of his patented hive. Also some copies of a few of his diary entries. His diaries are in the Archival library at Cornell University.

Back