Thick comb at top of frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I installed my first nuc just over a week ago and carried out my first inspection last night.

All looks fine, I found the queen and there was plenty of capped brood cells and larvae.

But, the bees seem to be building thick comb at the top, and on top of, their original frames, filling the space with the frame next to it. I've cut away the comb on top (and the comb at the bottom).

attachment.php

They have started to build comb on the new frames, but seem more focused on the original frames.

Is this normal and should I try to slice away the thicker comb to bring it back inline with the frame?

I have also added a new frame between two of the worst ones to try to encourage them to start to move there. I know it's recommended to leave the frames in order, but felt this was the only option. Is that okay?

Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_159d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_159d.jpeg
    364.2 KB
I installed my first nuc just over a week ago and carried out my first inspection last night.

All looks fine, I found the queen and there was plenty of capped brood cells and larvae.

But, the bees seem to be building thick comb at the top, and on top of, their original frames, filling the space with the frame next to it. I've cut away the comb on top (and the comb at the bottom).

attachment.php

They have started to build comb on the new frames, but seem more focused on the original frames.

Is this normal and should I try to slice away the thicker comb to bring it back inline with the frame?

I have also added a new frame between two of the worst ones to try to encourage them to start to move there. I know it's recommended to leave the frames in order, but felt this was the only option. Is that okay?

Any advice appreciated!

Looks like your frame spacing is incorrect, the side bars should touch each other. By placing a frame in between them will not resolve the problem and this new frame if it is foundation will not be drawn out correctly.

Yep your spacing is wrong. Not only do you seem not to be pressing the frames together but whatever you have on top must be too high. They will fill large spaces with comb and small spaces with propolis, the hive is designed to minimise this extra space that they may want to use.
E

Looks like your frame spacing is incorrect, the side bars should touch each other. By placing a frame in between them will not resolve the problem and this new frame if it is foundation will not be drawn out correctly.
Thanks for the advice. I think it started when in the nuc box. I'll make sure the frames are pushed together.

Is it worth trimming the comb or should I just leave it?

Yep your spacing is wrong. Not only do you seem not to be pressing the frames together but whatever you have on top must be too high. They will fill large spaces with comb and small spaces with propolis, the hive is designed to minimise this extra space that they may want to use.
E
Thanks for the advice. I just have a crown board on top, but they had started to build above the frame while in the nuc box. I've cleaned the comb from the top of the frame, so will see if they start to behave!

Thanks for the advice. I think it started when in the nuc box. I'll make sure the frames are pushed together.

Is it worth trimming the comb or should I just leave it?

If you were to leave it and press the frames together the bees will make a bee space in some areas and join together in others. If you trim, feed the trimmings back to the bees, using a rapid feeder or something similar, the bees will take the honey down and make a nice pattern with the wax.

Cheers, appreciated :)

are they Hoffman self spacers or straight sided side bars (see picture) if they are not Hoffmans you should have plastic spacers on your frame lugs with brood frames.
Do you have Hoffmans, DN1's (the straight sided side bars) with spacers or even DN1's with no spacers?
When bees draw comb in brood frames, they will leave double beespace where there is brood so that nurse bees can work back to back – they will store honey around the top edges of the frame to be easily accessible for brood feeding – not as many bees needed there so they will leave single beespace or even less if space is limited or there is a big flow on which makes the comb thicker in those areas – that’s what looks like is happening in your photograph.

Attachments

• Frame parts.jpg
    Frame parts.jpg
    307.6 KB
are they Hoffman self spacers or straight sided side bars (see picture) if they are not Hoffmans you should have plastic spacers on your frame lugs with brood frames.
Do you have Hoffmans, DN1's (the straight sided side bars) with spacers or even DN1's with no spacers?
When bees draw comb in brood frames, they will leave double beespace where there is brood so that nurse bees can work back to back – they will store honey around the top edges of the frame to be easily accessible for brood feeding – not as many bees needed there so they will leave single beespace or even less if space is limited or there is a big flow on which makes the comb thicker in those areas – that’s what looks like is happening in your photograph.

Definitely Hoffman.

Do you have a mix of foundation and comb ? They will often draw stores into the space created by foundation, as the brood nest expands they cut that down and move the stores out. It makes a bit of a mess though if you are trying to inspect frames with bulging stores at the top of the frame and you always trap bees when replacing. If its bad I skim them down with an uncapping fork and they repair them into a better shape.

Cheers, Mick.

Thanks mick thats exactly what has happened with a couple of mine. When you sracp the cappings off and it dribbles everywhere do you just let the bees clean it up, the honey that runs down the frames? Theyve drawn some frames and not touched others and its now causing spacing problems plus they arent drawing the other foundation. Ps this was a small swarm put into box of foundation.

Thanks for this - that sounds exactly like what they're doing. The frames are Hoffman self-spacing with a point one side. I was worried I'd crush the bees when putting back together, but did seem to fit okay.

Do you have a mix of foundation and comb ? They will often draw stores into the space created by foundation, as the brood nest expands they cut that down and move the stores out. It makes a bit of a mess though if you are trying to inspect frames with bulging stores at the top of the frame and you always trap bees when replacing. If its bad I skim them down with an uncapping fork and they repair them into a better shape.

Cheers, Mick.
Yes, a mixture. They came on four frames in the nuc box and have started drawing comb on two new frames in the brood box. I was worried they were not spreading it out, but sounds like I just need to be a bit patient!

They will sort it out in the end. Make sure you keep the frame spacing tight but use a dummy frame at the end to give you space to move frames into when inspecting. They will cut the honey stores down as the brood nest expands. Gently smoke the bees from the top of the frames to prevent crushing them.
It will all look good just as the season ends..LOL

Cheers, Mick.

Thanks mick

It may be the trend for 2018, I've seen a lot like that this year. My friend had two hives like that today and the spacing was fine. Quite a few combs drawn right up to the foundation next door.

Latest posts

Back