The Sound of Swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
On our local news program, Look East (?), there was a slot on some Notts uni bods declaring they had found a way of predicting when a swarm was due from the sound of the hive.

In the short slot it wasn't made clear
a) How much of this type of notice the bees gave before swarming
b) What good having this knowledge would do

It did claim though that this would help prevent the decline of the honeybee (!)

Anyone else see it, or heard of the research?

I didn't hear it but it sound very much like the Woods Apidictor developed about 50 years ago as a means of swarm prediction.

After my 48 years beekeeping I cannot predict swarming from sound. They are in the air when I hear that. Some says that queen are peepeing...but swarms have just may be gone.

It is easier to predict when you clip the wing.

The sound of swarming?

A beekeeper looking disconsolate in the apiary, saying...

"OH Botheration!"

PH

Very interesting,a brand new discovery that was made over 50 years ago.

Well done Tony Maggs I say, we've lost too many skills in general as a human race already.

also, buzzing made by wings???????? That one of the questions I got wrong in one of the quizzes, brain went on strike and I couldn't think so put wings.

I think I have some plans for anyone who wants to make a flux capacitor(Woods Apidictor).

:)

One of the guys in our stores looked all morning for one of those after an electrician asked for one.

Latest posts

Back