The newbee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi my names Nick I have just completed a beekeeping course at Kingston maurwood collage. very keen to gather some info and beekeeping equipment.
glad to be part of the forum and hope you can all give me some advice and guidance.
If anyone has any stuff they want to get rid of or sell let me know what you have as I have nothing and need a full set of kit.
My friend had a swarm in his garden the other day and I could not help him out! very frustrating as I am so keen to get started.
Thanks
Nick.

Hi Nick, welcome.

Beekeepers are a tight bunch, and tend to use kit until it falls apart. If you do see second hand it's not always a bargain... well worth scanning the suppliers websites for clearance and special offers.

Hi Nick, welcome.

Beekeepers are a tight bunch, and tend to use kit until it falls apart. If you do see second hand it's not always a bargain... well worth scanning the suppliers websites for clearance and special offers.

Or making your own if you are handy with a saw and the like :)
Whichever way you go welcome to the party.

Welcome aboard and best of luck getting your startup kit sorted.

:welcome: nickbee

There's a for sale/wanted section on the forum for beekeeping equipment, might be worth a look? :)

Thanks everyone, I have downloaded and saved plans and dimensions for a wbc hive, I am aware they are usually made from cedar for its weathering properties but I would really like to build one from oak at some point, does anyone know if there are any reasons why I should not? It would obviously be treated for weathering?

WBC's are heavy enough without being made from oak! Pine works very well as an alternative.

Most WBC's will take a national/14 x 12 BB. I would make it this way, increases your flexibility not to mention 1 more frame (10% increase)

Thanks everyone, I have downloaded and saved plans and dimensions for a wbc hive, I am aware they are usually made from cedar for its weathering properties but I would really like to build one from oak at some point, does anyone know if there are any reasons why I should not? It would obviously be treated for weathering?

Are you a weightlifter, lol

You can probably pick up a WBC second hand (certainly the outer shell) made out of cedar for less than the timber would cost you these days. 14x12 boxes, as long as you can do some fairly accurate carpentry, are not that sophisticated to make - unlike the outer shell which is ALL angles. Lovely looking hive, still has a few people who use them but it has a few downsides.

Welcome and good luck.

Queens59 is selling a WBC - though Devon might be too far for you?

Latest posts

Back