The Beekeepers Gathering & Honey Show - Derry/Londonderry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>20
For info:

THE BEEKEEPERS GATHERING & HONEY SHOW
SATURDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2013
THE GUILDHALL
DERRY/LONDONDERRY

In conjunction with Roe Valley Beekeepers Association, Derry & District Beekeepers Association and Derry City Council, and supported by The Big Lottery, The Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers will be hosting their Annual Conference and Honey Show on Saturday 28th September as part of The City Of Culture 2013 Celebrations. The event takes place in the beautiful, newly refurbished Guildhall.

President of INIB, BBC News Presenter Bill Turnbull will be opening and closing the conference and no doubt regaling the audience with more tales of his own beekeeping experiences.

There is a full day of interesting talks by a wide range of speakers for novice, beginner and experienced beekeepers. Dr Dewy Caron Emeritus Professor of Entomology & Wildlife Ecology, University of Delaware, & Affiliate Professor, Dept Horticulture Oregon state University is making a very welcome return to Northern Ireland and will be giving talks on Looking In The Bee Hive, Good Bee Stewardship and The Island Of Ireland’s Contribution to Global Beekeeping.

We are delighted to welcome Dr Giles Budge , Research Co-ordinator of The National Bee Unit. North Yorkshire, England. Giles talks will be The Family and Relationships of a Bacterium and Voices from the Vaults: Lessons from the Cowan Collection.

Our very own Dr Jim Loughrey will be sharing his experience of the elusive Ling Honey.

The Honey show attracts a wide range of exhibits from all over Ireland and will have the best of this year’s local honey, mead, honey cakes, beekeeping
photographs, and much more, judged by qualified INIB Honey Judges.

Who will be awarded INIB Beekeeper of the Year this year - come along and find out. There will be a raffle with amongst other prizes for beekeepers will be nuc of bees donated by Leo McGuiness and a complete beehive, donated by Robert Ditty

The cost of the day is £15.00 which includes breakfast, lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments.

There will be a beekeeping craft fair open to beekeepers and the public from 12.30 - 4.30pm and the Honey Show exhibits will be open for viewing from 11.30 - 4.30pm

Spokesman Michael Young, MBE, INIB Chairman says “this year’s conference has something for everyone in the beekeeping world in Ireland and beyond and is open to anyone interested in the many aspects of beekeeping.

For further information on becoming a member or booking form for the Conference and Honey Show entry form, please

INIB website: www.inibeekeepers.com

Caroline Thomson, Secretary
028 9494453655
[email protected]

Madeline McMullan, Honey Show
028 92638675
[email protected]

The Culture of Bees & Us is a collaborative partnership between the following organisations: Derry & District Beekeepers, Roe Valley Beekeepers Association, The Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers, The Arts Council, Big Lottery and Derry City Council

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly different press release...

THE BEEKEEPERS GATHERING & HONEY SHOW

SATURDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2013
THE GUILDHALL
DERRY/LONDONDERRY

The ‘Culture of Bees & Us’ celebrates the symbolic, historical and cultural importance of bees, their produce and us.

Culturally bees embody so much folklore, custom, literature, tradition and worship for so many people across the world. From the dawn of human society the nature and origin of bees has awakened the curiosity and interest of man. In fact, Apiculture or the keeping of bees is the oldest craft know to man. The honey bee is viewed as one of nature’s wonders, inspiring ancient and modern civilizations arts, religion, culture and traditions.

The ‘Culture of Bees & Us’ offers a stimulating yet multi-faceted opportunity to celebrate the City of Culture 2013 through the historical and social wonders of bees and their produce.

As Beekeepers we know that the public interest in apiculture is gathering momentum. Globally bees are under threat of extinction. It is unimaginable to think that without ‘Us’ (apiarists) there would be no bees in Ireland. Our collective working together will heighten children’s, citizens and visitor’s appreciation of bees through arts, literature and storytelling based programme of activities.

The Bee Keepers Gathering will bring people together of common purpose to tell a ‘new story’ that celebrates and explores our relationship with bees (and their honey) from a historical, spiritual, symbolic and cultural perspective. We have secured an exciting line up of international speakers as presented.

Derry/Londonderry will host the 10th INIB Honey Show, offering both the public and delegates an opportunity to taste ‘real’ honey’ and gain an appreciation of how honey is produced and harvested supported by bee craft demonstrations.

Furthermore, we will raise children’s awareness of the importance of bees throughout 2013. Through our Schools Education Programme, Artist Eleanor Wheeler will make 2013 clay bees with ten local primary schools: the collective energies of over three hundred children making a ‘Swarm of Bees’. An Culturlann will deliver a bilingual Irish Folklore/Story Telling Programme telling of the importance of bees to the ‘Land of Saints and Scholars’. The Verbal Arts Centre will deliver a Creative Writing Programme for up to 30 beekeepers that will explore the importance of bees throughout the literature from Aristotle to Shakespeare.

Beyond 2013, we aim to increase awareness of the importance of bees and build new audiences for our life-long learning pursuit and document ‘The Culture of Bees & Us’ as a publication for all to share.

The Mayor, Cllr Martin O’ Reilly
As Mayor, I am delighted to welcome the Bee Keeper Gathering and Honey Show to Derry/Londonderry Guildhall for the first time.
The ‘Culture of Bees & Us’ project explores creative connections in celebrating and exploring our relationship with bees and their honey from a historical, spiritual, symbolic and cultural perspective. This is great civic importance in light of Derry/Londonderry’s City of Culture 2013 year of celebration.
I am fully supportive of the ‘Culture for Bees & Us’ project which aims to build awareness of the importance of bees to our environment and mankind through an arts and cultural based programme.
This unique project could only be made possible through the collective working of Derry & District Beekeepers, The Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers and Roe Valley Bee Keepers supported by Derry City Council.
I would also extend appreciation to the Big Lottery for their financial support through the Culture for All Programme
Bill Turnbull, President, INIB
Dear Fellow Beekeepers, friends and supporters of the honey bee.
As INIB President for the last five years, I am delighted to be back in Northern Ireland again this year for this unique and special occasion, The Gathering, celebrating the City Of Culture 2013 in the beautiful setting of the Guildhall in the City of Derry/Londonderry.
My wife, Sesi, and I have spent many happy times at the Beekeepers Conferences over the last few years and we are very much looking forward to renewing old friendships and, we hope, making new ones.
I hope that the good weather we have all had this summer will mean record entries for the Honey Show, and help sustain the skills needed to produce and prepare honey and its associated products. I am very much looking forward to presenting the awards and viewing the exhibits which, I am sure, will meet the usual high standards I’ve come to expect from the beekeepers of Ireland.
I wish you a very successful event, and look forward to seeing you all at The Guildhall

Slight amendment with regard to the cost for the conference. The price will be £15.00 per head and that will include breakfast and lunch!

See you there on Saturday, particularly looking forward to seeing Bill Turnbull and hearing what my old prelim class lecturer Jim has to say on the pursuit of heather honey.

Latest posts

Back