That Hurt

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have read that those rubber gloves that are used for washing up are pretty good.
I might give them a go.

i have read that those rubber gloves that are used for washing up are pretty good.
I might give them a go.

sew some white long cuff on them, elasticated at one end,

if the BEES are OTT i use long white soxs with end cut off as cuffs over the glove end....they go for your wrists when they are mad at me

remember if the hive has a banana smell walk away and come back latter it's the alarm hormone

Washing up gloves are better than the old leather gloves but not as good as the thinner ones - as paleo says, you can feel a bee before you crush it (when it would release the alarm pheremone).

Bee inspectors recommend MARIGOLD NT14B PF BLUE DISPOSABLE NITRILE GLOVE which have long sleeves and stop the little darlings crawling into your wrist.

remember if the hive has a banana smell walk away and come back latter it's the alarm hormone

Pheromone............Good job you don't work with a large amount of hives,you would spend all day walking away,get nothing done.....lol

Bee inspectors recommend MARIGOLD NT14B PF BLUE DISPOSABLE NITRILE GLOVE which have long sleeves and stop the little darlings crawling into your wrist.

Had to laugh. looked up the details of above at http://www.vizwear.com/images/EN/pdfspec/MAR751003.pdf under Applications
"Handlings of slightly aggressive products, recommended only for short contacts."

Seems like they had bees in mind - LOL

does anyone know how these are sized???

To Measure for the size, wrap a measuring tape just below the knuckles and fingers of your dominant hand as shown on the picture below and make a loose fist.

Measurements are in inches.

Hope this helps

i
Has anyone succeeded in getting their Doctor to give them an Epi pen if they are not allergic?

I usually get a reaction a day after being stung and last year I went to the doctor after getting a sting just below my eye; the subsequent swelling closed my eye! The doctor didn't even quibble about giving me an Epi pen and appointment with the nurse on how to use it. I was told by my doc that the reactions would be likely to go one of two ways, I would either become immune and not have any reaction or, and the reason he gave me the pen I would have a very bad reaction and need the pen, hope its the former!
My friends tease the life out of me with jibes about inducing swelling on other areas of my body......cant imagine what they mean?

I had to have a quick look inside a hive last weekend and didn't have any 'bee' gloves, I use latex or marigolds. I did however have the gloves I use for handling small mammals and donned these and the bees didn't even attempt to have a go at my hands which really took me by surprise. The gloves I used are designed for horse riding (dressage I think) and are brilliant for handling dormice, bats where dexterity is needed but you cannot afford to have the little critters draw blood or even break your skin.
I will try again with the gloves to see if it was a one-off and report back. One other thing I also didn't use any smoke and have found that bees are sometimes quieter without it, has anyone else found this?

Last edited:
Has anyone succeeded in getting their Doctor to give them an Epi pen if they are not allergic?

Yep, when I was about to start beekeeping I just said to my doc that I'd been recommended to get an Epipen. She wrote a prescription there & then. No instruction how to use it though :toetap05:

One other thing I also didn't use any smoke and have found that bees are sometimes quieter without it, has anyone else found this?

At times yes and I if I think all is well will opt not to use smoke but I always have the smoker lit and standing by because if they do start to get a bit in your face a bit of smoke will calm things down.

i use the liquid Kids piriton based anti histamine from the same company "T.E Stockwell & COhen" to give them their old name...:bigear:

the kids liquid stuff is absorded quicker than the tablets..so less reaction to the sting...you need the drowsey cheep stuff as i find the more expensive non drowsey Anti Histamine doesn't work so well on Bee stings

Yes I always carry one and it is the automatic one that is supposed to be very expensive,I just explained why I thought that I needed one and he was quite ok.Mind you he wants some honey!!

Does Frisbee use her "Special gloves"?

Only for the naughty bees I'm told.

I find that my Carni's seem to resent smoke and hiss when I puff them. Generally well behaved though.

Pheromone............Good job you don't work with a large amount of hives,you would spend all day walking away,get nothing done.....lol

ok point taken, needs must, but for those of us with three or four hives, i would prefer to leave a hive for five minute and contemplate my navel if the banana alarm goes off

Latest posts

Back