Test frame failure, then what?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatshark

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a broodless colony that has received two test frames over the last 3 weeks. On the first they appeared to eat the eggs and young larvae, the second they've just ignored. There have been no eggs for a month, no evidence whatsoever of a queen and seemingly no prospect of getting one.

I don't want to add a mated queen as they're unlikely to be very receptive without some young bees to look after her.

Presumably a test frame only works if there are bees young enough to draw out the comb and feed/raise the new queen.

There are no signs of laying workers.

It seems I have two choices, 1. assume there's a virgin in there and just wait or 2. consider uniting them. I'm reticent to do the latter as my other colonies are smaller and the last time I was in a similar situation and did unite them they slaughtered the laying queen.

Perhaps they want to be doomed? If (1) doesn't work I expect I'll get laying workers and end up shaking them out anyway.

Any other suggestions?

With thanks.

I read that it can take upto 4 test frames if laying workers are there.

What are their stores like? Cannibalism in bees can mean hunger. And if they're short on stores they won't be feeding a queen to laying condition. Any sign of polished cells?

Presumably a test frame only works if there are bees young enough to draw out the comb and feed/raise the new queen.

Not true. Think wintered bees. Same situation with little or no brood. The last emerged bees will not have aged, as they usually do in the summer season, as there was no brood to feed.

There have been no eggs for a month

That means it is not so long since possible emergence of a small scrubby queen?

RAB

Can't you sieve the bees to try and find the Q

Ample stores and no polished cells. Should have mentioned both these earlier. They really do look queenless.

Sieving might be worth a try .... thanks you.

They really do look queenless..

You put two test frames in and claim that 'they look queenless'. I would have thought the first test frame would have put you straight.

If I put a test frame into a colony and they did not raise queen cells that would probably be a success.

If it is a small queen and over a month she has probably started to lay ... look in the supers.

Latest posts

Back