Temporary Observation Hive Display

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurangutan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,
We have an observation hive (“National Mobile Nucleus Hive” on the Thorne website), and would like to display a brood frame of bees in the observation window to some school children visiting the apiary. The observation hive is not currently managed as a hive so is empty, but we have a national hive that is doing well. What would be the best method to display a frame of bees from the national hive in the observation hive please? Just move a single frame across to the observation window, or also add frames of foundation / brood and bees to the nuc too. We don’t mind if we display the marked queen or not, so is it best to keep her in the actual hive? Should I also add a frame feeder with a dilute solution of sugar syrup? The bees will be in the observation hive for about 7 hours.
Thanks
Laurangutan

Done this a few times so there are some pointers.

The kids get VERY excited so the ob needs to be VERY secure on a good solid table as they will push,HARD. I also screwed perspex to the frame of the op so as to have a 2nd level of security. Yes VERY excited....

They do not need fed but they do need some water and plenty of ventilation. The top should have at least three or four square inches of mesh and if not make it so. Just because something is made by him or them does not mean it works well. ;)

If the box has a "sump" then the queen will hide down there. If not well she will pose nicely for you if you avoid a comb with hidey holes and brace comb. Best to have a BIAS comb with pollen and honey and make up some labels to save the voice.

I know this is harping on but I was very nearly caught out so imagine a rugby pack wanting a good view and plan on that level of force.

PH

Sort the children into manageable groups, one looks at bees, one spins a frame out, one designs a label for their jar, one learns about the life cycle etc and change positions every ten minutes. I only take a single frame display in.
E

If you "borrow" the queen from a colony how long can you keep her out before she may be rejected on the return.

Can it be on the day before if it's an early start?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back