Temperature

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened up today(OSR site) to put pollen patties on, but only on top of frames not taking any frames out and done in about a minute.

The first inspection can be just for normal brood, room and stores achieved very quickly.

I do like to have the queen well marked asap and certainly before the rape flowers. They do get bad tempered then and it helps to be able to find her easily.

Once into normal inspections they are all done whatever the weather.

Peter

Now that would be a blast from the past in these parts. I haven't heard a cuckoo for years except for cuckoo clocks :D
VM

Time for new batteries in the hearing aid?

Have not heard the sweet refrain from the nightingale down in the valleys below for a few years either !

Here the saying is that the sound of the first cuckoo is the time to crack open last autumn's cider for the first time. After that an inspection is not recommended!

How long has the spare box been behind the left hand hive? I see it has a couple of frames in there and forest floor litter piled up against it .

Not a criticism , we all regard apiary tidiness by our own standards :)
VM

Well spotted sir.
Yes, it is an empty box but they are not frames or bits of frames. Just bits of wood as edges for under paving slabs.
Its only been there a couple of days. I have been moving the hives a slab at a time every week and as I move one way I sling the rubbish the other.

Sounds like me :D
I also notice the corrugated cardboard, nice and dry so assumes some rearranging going on :)
VM

As stupid as it sounds I put the cardboard there so that when the bees find out its colder out than they thought and they miss the landing board, they dont fall in the damp cold grass, unable to summons enough energy to take off again.

well spotted VM - i'm more concerned about the local pizzeria that is currently having to offer one less choice of toppings!!!!

Dont know what the temperature was overnight but has warmed up again today to about 10 c and have just been outside to see if they were bringing pollen in. Some, but not a lot.

Interestingly I noticed that 2 bees pressumed dead late yesterday afternoon and therefore out all night on the landing ramp, are in fact moving now that there is a little bit of sun on them.

Back