TBH ? What, Why, How !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Natural' and 'keeping' are a contradiction in terms. People can keep bees how they like, but I would suggest that none of it is natural.

that's why I tend to refer to it as (more) natural beekeeping just in case of passing pedants.........

Natural beekeeping- find a tree with a hole in and put mother natures bees in it

TBH- home made bee coffin
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Council issued TBH's

Councils are now offering free TBH's and they are GREEN (almost):hurray::D

Should I start collecting 'bunny fluff' and I assume that no bunnies will be harmed in the fluff gathering process? ;) :D

unless you keep it simple and prepare it as cut comb, which can sell for more than honey in a jar,

combcutter.jpg

combcontainer.jpg

cutcombsticker.jpg

the only filtering you really need do, are the between the two types of posts your receiving, informative ones in relation to your question, and the d1ck head ones

Last edited:
yet again I've noticed a thread asking for advice on warre/tbh, has gone from a simple question by a member, to an argument between national/honey producing keepers, and others, you guys have a whole forum to chat about keeping bees the way YOU WANT to keep bees, yet it always seems you jump at any chance to say its your way or none

WHY??
can you not believe that others may have opinions/ideas that differ from your own, those of us that use TBH, do not slate off nationals at every chance we get, we merely explain why we prefer said hives,

stop throwing your rattles from the pram

Ok then, Nationals are useless, I want poly commercials. Please:hurray:

Why are you trying to trash this thread Andy?

The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question to which you seem to only want to mock anyone using top bar as a method of keeping bees.

I know old age is hard, mais chacun son tour.

Chris

Couple of frames as examples.

Warré. Effectively as top bar but made as a frame, No wires, no foundation.

Warre-frame-no-foundation.jpg

Dadant. Again no foundation but pre-wired to strengthen the comb when the bees incorporate it during construction.

Dadant-comb-no-foundation.jpg

Chris

I've heard about TBH's and was trying to find some info on the Warre hives etc, I've read that they are suppose to be a more natural way of keeping bees but after googling it I still don't really understand why. Also can you still harvest honey even though they don't have frames..... or do they have frames. And what are the advantages/disadvantages etc....Sorry I have really managed to confuse myself :eek:

I think the confusion originates from confusing the hive types with the approach to beekeeping which is usually (though not always) adopted when using those hive types.

Perhaps the most significant difference between the two styles of beekeeping relates to the use of pressed or moulded foundation. This practice more-or-less dictates to the bees what size cells they must draw - which in turn impacts upon the size of bee which will eventually emerge.
The use of such foundation is most commonly seen in framed hives such as the National (in Britain) and the Langstroth (just about everywhere else).

In contrast, those beeks using Top Bar Hives (including Warre, Dartington etc) may - or may not - use starter strips, with the bees being free to then draw whatever size cells they wish - including 'mixing and matching', with worker, drone and honey cells sometimes all found on the same comb.

Of course it is quite possible to run 'foundationless' frames (within any type of box) to achieve the same end, and it is also possible to run Langstroth and Nationals as pure Top Bar Hives, although they were never designed for this purpose.

When using Supers with reinforced foundation (in frames), the harvesting of honey is done with a spin-dryer type machine which preserves the comb for re-use.
With all other systems, the comb is cut away and crushed - the honey extracted - with the comb then needing to be re-drawn anew. This is actually an unnatural occurrence for the bees, but it can be argued that in these days of trace pollutant build-up, it's actually a more healthy procedure, as left to their own devices, bees would use the same comb over-and over again, until it turned black.

Hope this goes some way to 'un-muddy the waters'.

LJ

Left side bar seems to display wax moth larva damage?
VM

Why are you trying to trash this thread Andy?

The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question to which you seem to only want to mock anyone using top bar as a method of keeping bees.

I know old age is hard, mais chacun son tour.

Chris

He needs bees, clearly.

Latest posts

Back