Tasting honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm curious about how honey is tasted and what makes one honey taste better than another? I have tasted honey that won a black jar/tasting category at a honey show but I have no idea why it was considered the best. It tasted slightly unusual but I actually preferred my own honey!

So I mean comparing similar honeys, say, light ones. I don't just mean really obvious things like the difference between, heather, lavender, clover, etc.

I imagine this is a complex topic but never see much about in any beekeeping books I read, but if you can recommend any sites or books that explain it, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

There are a number of criteria for judging honey that you can quantify and compare one jar against another, but taste is very much just a matter of taste.

I think it's a question of a honey with flavour, but not harsh, and no hint of fermentation in the taste.

The judge I have worked with tells me "that's a nice tasting honey", but at the end of the day it's his opinion.

Hi I have found a pdf for judging honey at the national honey show it may provide some information for you. http://www.honeyshow.co.uk/files/nhspub7.pdf
regards Jim

Looking at this brings back memories. Cecil Tonsley was a real character, editor of the British Bee Journal for many years and a friend of my father. My younger sister appeared on the cover of the BBJ as a very young girl eating honey and I remember clearly spending one Christmas with the Tonsleys.

It sure is a matter of taste, and what your taste buds are conditioned to, for example if you regularly eat rape honey all others will taste fantastic :D

Back