Table saw etc recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgerow Honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
We have just taken on another building next to ours which will give loads of extra room for building more of our own kit.
This winter will be taken up with making crown/flight boards, commercial supers and dummy boards as we have another 100 complete empty hives to fill.
Reccomdations for a band saw, planer/thicknesser router would be appreciated.

Cheers

All my machines are nearly as old as me and were old when I bought them ..Startrite Inca planer thicknesser, Kity bandsaw, Elektra Beckum table saw - they have all been excellent and despite their age were built like the proverbial brick outhouse and made to last - but - I was always on a budget.

If you are looking for new (modern) machines and you have a decent budget you won't go far wrong with the Axmister range of machines - if you are looking for a deal buying all three together there may generate a discount and the great thing is you can go there and they will show you them and how they work. Their after purchase service is good and spares are available. There are good ranges within each item that range from hobbyist to industrial use.

They are all made in the Far East but what isn't these days ?

https://www.axminstertools.com/machinery

A trip to their HO in Axminster is an experience but your nearest store is probably Cardiff.

We have just taken on another building next to ours which will give loads of extra room for building more of our own kit.
This winter will be taken up with making crown/flight boards, commercial supers and dummy boards as we have another 100 complete empty hives to fill.
Reccomdations for a band saw, planer/thicknesser router would be appreciated.

Cheers
Hi HH. This may not be of too much use, but anyhow, I strayed onto this a few weeks back and there may be something in amongst it to help you decide on types of equipment.

You won't go far wrong with Startrite kit if you're looking for well made second hand equipment. Their 352 bandsaw is renowned as being
'the standard' of the time, the table saws are excellent...I would go for the larger TA275 which takes a 300mm blade, and they make good planer thicknessers too.
You do need to be careful buying second hand if you're using commercially, and make sure that any kit complies with current safety rules regarding blade braking
dust extraction etc....sometimes this stuff is cheap for a reason!
Second hand industrial grade equipment is normally more readily available in 3 phase so this might also be a consideration....a lot more 'hobbyists' want single phase versions
and therefore they can carry a premium on the price.
Felder make fantastic new kit, but are very pricey...they do make a budget range badged 'Hammer'...still pricey though, esp when compared to second hand.
Trend 1/2 inch hand held routers are pretty good and are essentially the same as the Dewalt....both based on the fantastic Elu MOF177 which used to be the router to have, try looking
at Rutlands if you want a table router to use like a mini spindle moulder https://www.rutlands.com

Latest posts

Back