Syrup life

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailsaboat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got about 3 gal of 2:1 syrup(nothing else added) left in a drum, will it last for next year or is it a down the drain job??

I've got about 3 gal of 2:1 syrup(nothing else added) left in a drum, will it last for next year or is it a down the drain job??

It will probably ferment, given time.
Sell it on or make some booze rather than chucking it would be my advice.

Made about 2 gal which they took very quickly, so before i ran out i made another 3 - to be ready!! at about the same time they stopped taking it.
And no, not thymolated, it's just sugar and water.

Booze intrigues - any suggestions!!!

Fair few pounds worth of sugar there. If it has been kept cold and not made too long ago, and has not started to ferment, can anybody (?HM) advise whether too late to add thymol now?

Add thymol and it will keep until next year...or longer, may crystalize a bit though, so just need warming.

Could you freeze it??
If so, transfer it to ex plastic milk containers and leave enough space for it to expand, and dont forget to label it!!!!

Hi Ailsaboat,
The logical thing seems to make it into fondant or is that not poss.

Why not put it into a container then fill up to the brim with chopped fruit and raisins, seal and set aside until Christmas?

That's what they did in Stalag Luft 59

Hmmm, will def look into making some fondant, would seem sensible to have some ready if needed.
The rest i'll try freezing - dont know why i didn't think of that!!

I had some syrup left over last year ( about 5 lts) and with thymol in. It was perfectly fine when I came to give them some feed in the spring, although some of it was crystalised at the bottom of the bottle. I just stood it in some hot water and gave it a lot of shaking.

Along with all the other, well documented benefits of adding thymol this is yet another reason to add it to syrup. I am a convert.

I am paranoid enough about tainting honey with thymol from the autumn feed let along feeding thymolated syrup to bees in th spring.
There is no doubt that some stores, whether sugar syrup stores or honey, from the brood box can be carried up above an excluder and into your supers once the nest starts to expand. Obviously, any thymolated stores going into your honey is something to try and avoid, as it only takes a little thymol to permeate through a whole batch of honey at extracing time.

Add about 5mls of vinegar per gal. shake well. I understand household bleach will work as well but I have never tried it.

Use the recipe below and turn it into Fondant which will keep for a couple of years even if you dont manage to use it over the winter.
Fondant Recipe (Winter Feeding)
4 parts by volume white sugar
4 parts by volume 2:1 sugar syrup
3 parts by volume water
Boil the water and slowly add the sugar and syrup, stirring until all is dissolved.
Keep heating until the temperature reaches 114°C (238°F).
Let the mixture cool, without mixing, and when just warm to the touch begin to mix again and allow the mixture to air, it should lighten in colour.
Pour into shallow dishes and save for later use.

Bob

I have about a gallon of ambrosia and the same of 2:1, could I mix them, then reduce them to make fondant?

I have about a gallon of ambrosia and the same of 2:1, could I mix them, then reduce them to make fondant?

The ambrosia , I'm told, has a good shelf life and can be kept till next season. The 2-1 is best dealt with as above as it will otherwise ferment.

Latest posts

Back