Sycamore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A weed?
Don’t anybody’s bees use it?
The sycamores around here sound as if they are taking off when they are in bloom.

Yeh ... mine are all over them at present... but when I'm Emperor of the world I'm still going to have them all dug up ....

It's a good wood for the ultimate woodworking project. Complete with "bee stings" in the purfling on the c bout corners.

What about the sycamore twig whistle too?

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_103031467.jpg
    IMG_20200519_103031467.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
. . . I've also planted pear apple damson slows maple harwthorne cherry.

I couldn't dig them up they are like my children I've grown some of them from seed or cuttings

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Did you graft the apples from scions onto known rootstocks? If not the results will probably be entirely unpredictable. You could end up with anything from a superb eating apple to tiny ultra bitter crab apples. The mature tree size will be similarly uncertain. Could top out at anything up to thirty feet.

I grew a couple of Pippin's in the vain hope of finding a wonderful new variety. Posterity awaited. Beersmith's pippin had a good ring to it. You can guess the reality.

Did you graft the apples from scions onto known rootstocks? If not the results will probably be entirely unpredictable. You could end up with anything from a superb eating apple to tiny ultra bitter crab apples. The mature tree size will be similarly uncertain. Could top out at anything up to thirty feet.

I grew a couple of Pippin's in the vain hope of finding a wonderful new variety. Posterity awaited. Beersmith's pippin had a good ring to it. You can guess the reality.

I remember Swansera docks early 1990's before the developers 'improved' it, the railway line to Neath was up on an embankment which was liberally covered in apple trees from discarded cores - the fruit looked fantastic, There was also an enormous pear tree next to the weighbridge keeper's building within the docks, always meant to sample some of the numerous fruit on it, but never did.

My apple cutting haven't been grafted and what ever they turn out to be is fine.
They were taken from an eater, I'm not sure what it is but the apples are good for eating and putting in the press for apple juice.
On the farm there is some really old yellow egg plum trees I would love to do something with them if you have any advice?

I remember Swansera docks early 1990's before the developers 'improved' it, the railway line to Neath was up on an embankment which was liberally covered in apple trees from discarded cores - the fruit looked fantastic, There was also an enormous pear tree next to the weighbridge keeper's building within the docks, always meant to sample some of the numerous fruit on it, but never did.

Didn't a lot of dhustone ( granite) get used in making the docks in neath or am I thinking of the Pembroke docks..
This stone up here has travelled far and wide?

My apple cutting haven't been grafted and what ever they turn out to be is fine.
They were taken from an eater, I'm not sure what it is but the apples are good for eating and putting in the press for apple juice.
On the farm there is some really old yellow egg plum trees I would love to do something with them if you have any advice?

You can produce new trees from them by grafting from them onto a new rootstock. Normally St Julien rootstocks are used for plums... It's not that difficult and you will reproduce true replicas of the existing old trees that will last another 40 to 50 years:

https://www.gardenguides.com/115100-graft-plum-tree.html

https://walcotnursery.co.uk/product/plum-rootstock/

You will need to plan ahead ... Autumn time to start and then spring for the grafting .. it's normal to take off your scions (the bits of branch you are going to graft onto the rootstock) in the autumn and keep them in the fridge or freezer until spring). The rootstocks need planting in the autumn where they will be grown and you graft the scions onto them in the spring once the sap starts rising. You can plant the rootstocks early in the new year and still graft in the spring.

Do a few as some may fail. I'm going to do some grafts from my Dad's Bramley apple tree this year so we have some to take with us when we eventually move ..

You can produce new trees from them by grafting from them onto a new rootstock. Normally St Julien rootstocks are used for plums... It's not that difficult and you will reproduce true replicas of the existing old trees that will last another 40 to 50 years:

https://www.gardenguides.com/115100-graft-plum-tree.html

https://walcotnursery.co.uk/product/plum-rootstock/

You will need to plan ahead ... Autumn time to start and then spring for the grafting .. it's normal to take off your scions (the bits of branch you are going to graft onto the rootstock) in the autumn and keep them in the fridge or freezer until spring). The rootstocks need planting in the autumn where they will be grown and you graft the scions onto them in the spring once the sap starts rising. You can plant the rootstocks early in the new year and still graft in the spring.

Do a few as some may fail. I'm going to do some grafts from my Dad's Bramley apple tree this year so we have some to take with us when we eventually move ..
Thanks Phil, I've grafted onto rootstock with roses when I was working on the estate some years ago..
The lady of the house wanted some of the old roses that had been in the family for years.
Root stock was planted in the autumn and I grafted from buds in the spring..
She got me to prep half acre just for roses.
Lady salwey.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Same principles just slightly different as you can take rose cuttings in the spring and graft them immediately.. fruit stock needs to be dormant when the graft is done (or so I understand) - hence you take the scions in autumn and keep them over winter in the cold. Good luck ..are the yellow plums edible? Some I've had in the past are as sour as anything but make fantastic plum jam !

Same principles just slightly different as you can take rose cuttings in the spring and graft them immediately.. fruit stock needs to be dormant when the graft is done (or so I understand) - hence you take the scions in autumn and keep them over winter in the cold. Good luck ..are the yellow plums edible? Some I've had in the past are as sour as anything but make fantastic plum jam !

I'll give this ago this autumn I think with the yellow plums.. The yellow egg plums aren't very big, there about the size of a bantam egg and very sweet when ripe..
The tree's are a bit sick looking I think the sheep have been eating the bark over the years.

I'll give this ago this autumn I think with the yellow plums.. The yellow egg plums aren't very big, there about the size of a bantam egg and very sweet when ripe..
The tree's are a bit sick looking I think the sheep have been eating the bark over the years.

Girdle the tree with a wire mesh they cant get their faces through. I had to do that to protect against goats. Then create a 3ft or more radius free of vegetation around the base, apply something like “Growmore” and mulch it. Then there is always proper pruning of course.

Latest posts

Back