swimming pool problem!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fionamw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I'm new to the forum and although I was a beekeeper in the UK I'm now in Spain & having problems with bees from nearby hives. There are maybe dozens within a kilometre - the area is renowned for honey. Previous years no problems apart from one specific day, however this year the bees have been using our pool for water daily for a couple of weeks. Our neighbour provides an old bathful of water so theoretically there shouldn't be any problem but there definitely is!
Any tips to put them off? It's not a chlorine pool, it's got a copper electrode cleaning system. We've tried washing up liquid around the top edges of the water, salt water on the tiles around the pool.... what if anything can we do?
I know this isn't really your problem, but I'd be very grateful for help.
fmw

You could try providing an alternative. Their preference seems to be a dirty puddle. If you can recreate this- eg ina washing up bowl nearby, filled with soil shaped into a puddle, then water to a level where some soil is showing- they just might prefer that.

It's a long shot, but it just might work!

You could try providing an alternative. Their preference seems to be a dirty puddle. If you can recreate this- eg ina washing up bowl nearby, filled with soil shaped into a puddle, then water to a level where some soil is showing- they just might prefer that.

It's a long shot, but it just might work!

Good idea, thanks; not quite sure how to get them away from the pool to the 'puddle', though... put it very near then gradually move it away day by day?

Good idea, thanks; not quite sure how to get them away from the pool to the 'puddle', though... put it very near then gradually move it away day by day?

Sounds like a plan :)

This will be interesting as I always thought they preferred dirty water as it was warmer, and as the pool surface at least is going to be as warm as the fake puddle... what will they decide?

PH

some peeps put a giant fake heron by their ponds to protect the fish, maybe a fake hornet by your pool :)

!!!!! I could provide hornet kebabs if required... there's a nest at the foot of a nearby almond & we end up frying about 5 a night in our outside lights - the friendly lizards love'em, though!

I don't think you will stop them coming. Note that bees do not 'drink' the water, they carry it back to their hive and squirt it out so that the water evaporates and cools their hive.

There ain't no beek in warm climate country who isn't aware of the nuisance factor and swimming pools. They are often reminded of the problem by home owners with swimming pools. Some will put out great water vats near to hives.

Perhaps try an alternative that is more attractive for the bees. Foam cushion in container of water?

We experience much nuisance with wasps in our pool near Alicante and despite increasing the chlorine level they keep coming, to the extent where we can't use it. I would welcome any ideas.

I was told to add salt to the water to attract them so putting salt water on the outside of the pool will bee doing the opposite to what you thought. Try putting a alternative out with a little salt in

We experience much nuisance with wasps in our pool near Alicante and despite increasing the chlorine level they keep coming, to the extent where we can't use it. I would welcome any ideas.

Strangely although we usually have a mega wasp problem around the pool - wasps and nests in the old Andalucian tiles roofs being so commonplace people won't work on the roof during summer months - this year is for whatever reason totally the opposite. And it's maybe of interest to note that having been stung by my fair share of UK bees, I'd say nothing I've experienced compares to the sting of a Spanish wasp!!!

Drain the pool and turn it into a sunken garden...and barbecue area.

Try tempting them away from the pool with a supply of water with a very very small amount of sugar added and if they start using it switch to plain water. Empty the pool and turn it into a huge top bar hive..

Latest posts

Back