Swarms Is it me

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please can I have one, a prime one hanging off a apple tree 4 ft up a really big one with a nice queen...

So Far

Friday
Call out to swarm hanging off a overhang there in 20 mins to find they had just gone into the roof between 2 beams with lead and stone roof protecting them..No chance.

Sunday

Call out "Ha Ha" in a tree 4ft off the ground size of a football...wicked
Arrived after 20 mile drive to find two apple size balls not even worth setting up a hive for so shook them out in the apiary.

Tuesday
Call out 1 Just gone in a hole in the front wall by front door
Call out 2 Just gone into hole in a barn
Farmer rang loads of bees around bait hive

Wednesday

Bait hive about 200 of the most vicious bees I have ever come across
Call out 1 Just gone under the thatch
Call out 2 Just gone in a hole by a lintel
Call out 3 Just going in a slit in the gable end

Please just one hanging off an apple tree:drool5::drool5:

Please can I have one, a prime one hanging off a apple tree 4 ft up a really big one with a nice queen...

Jeff, it could be worse .....

Saturday - Nothing
Sunday - Nothing
Monday - Nothing
Tuesday - nothing but found a Beekeeper from a different association taking a huge one 4 ft above ground in an apple tree 4 houses away from mine !

Turns out the occupants are on holiday and the housesitter called the Local Council ( not Parish) who refer all calls to the neighbouring association.

Also found out on BBKA there are 10 swarm-ready beekeepers within a mile of my postcode so dont expect many but a bit miffed I dont get the call for one in the same street !

At least it wasnt from my hives as dont have any at home at the moment but the bait hive had a beautiful wasp nest :mad:

Friday - swarm entered into attic. householder "researched" on internet and were definately honey bees. Got there - definately bumble bees; about 6 of them.

Tuesday - small swarm in householders empty bird box. Checked with owner who used to keep bees previously but had to give up due to severe reaction to stings. Sounded promising. Arrived and checked - bumbles again!!!

Tuesday - small swarm in householders empty bird box. Checked with owner who used to keep bees previously but had to give up due to severe reaction to stings. Sounded promising. Arrived and checked - bumbles again!!!

Sorry but the clue was there!

I have had 3-4 cals in the last week of swarms of honey bees in bird boxes. I ask if it is an unusually LARGE bird box as honey bees wouldn't settle for such a small volume!

:biggrinjester:

I always ask them to describe the bees as the vast majority of people truly think that bumbles are honey bees.

"Can you describe them please? Are they round and fluffy or wasp like?" That q sorts out 99% of the issue right there and saves a fortune in fuel.

My first was as the OP hopes for, although actually on a five foot tree but it was at four feet with the weight. I am still awaiting another like that one....

PH

Hi Yorkshire Bees

i askedthe lady to describe the bees and she was adamant they were honey bees. from the description and the fact that she told me she kept bees for 15 years i believed they could have been a small caste swarm.

Hi Gower, I meant no offence by my reply, but afaik even a cast swarm would still not use a bird nest box, 99% of the time. I say 99% because just when you say bees will never do something, they do just to confuse he matter.

I just know that from the calls I have had they all start off saying they have a swarm of honey bees and by the time I have asked a few questions, they tend to turn out to be bumble bees!

I'm ofc surprised someone kept bees for 15yrs and couldn't tell the difference!

Also asking the relevant questions, as PH says helps weed out the calls.

no offence taken! the lady in question was shall we say advancing in years and hadnt kept bees for some time, she was also living alone after being widdowed a while back. i also think she was reluctant to go too close to the box for fear of an adverse reaction to any possible stings. in any case i got the gear on and moved it to a wooded area at the bottom of her garden well out of the way.

maybe a "real" swarm will materialise at some point....

Just had another... In a hospital.. bees flying round in the office coming out of the light switches:eek::eek:

I agree with the bird box been out to a few of them last year, never again. PH yes that just the thing I am looking for never had one like that yet.

I am going to have to perfect trap outs I think. The lady with the thatch and the people with the bees in front porch really cannot live with them so will tackle them as they are both within two hundred yds of each other very close to home the rest can be left I think.

Best one I had was a lady who rang and said I have just moved into a new house and have bees in the garden.

I said are there lots yes she said they are all over the flowers can you get rid of them?????

What can you say to that one.

My sister works inthe County Council call centre so I should get first dibs on any swarm calls :D- so far, one call 25 or so miles away - bees in chimney, big tall house in town centre needless to say I declined and passed it on to someone closer (he's going to strangle me when i see him next Monday!). maybe I'll get better luck with the bait hive - a few scout beees taking a serious look, also a few having a serious poke around the old covered dog run where i keep a pile of hive bits including one super with drawn comb awaiting to go on hive number 2.
Off now to set up the trap out at the chapel

Latest posts

Back