Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Applemuncher 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi!

My bees swarmed yesterday but I managed to retrieve them with the help of another more able beekeeper than myself. I had (stupidly) lent my spare hive out to someone and due to an increase in my own bees from 2 hives to 3, I had no spare equipment at all.

I usually keep a national hive but I do have a WBC which is usually outside my house for ornamental purposes so as a last resort, I thought I would put the bees in this. When I looked at the inside of the hive, there seemed no way for the bees to get in and out, it looked very much like there was a wooden bar across the bottom so, in my panic, I cut it out.

I got the swarm in the hive and decided I would go back later in the night to give them a feed and put the rest of the frames in, when I opened the hive I discovered that all the bees were in the liner of the WBC, not in the actual hive itself. I guess by cutting the bottom bar out I just gave them access to the entire hive :blush5:.

I put the crown board (glass quilt) on the top a bit askew to give them a few routes back in to the main hive, I have to go back again later and top up their feed but I just know they will still be in the liner.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They say you learn by your mistakes, I seem to have made quite a few!!!

Thanks in advance :(

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I can think of 2 possibilities. Either make a sort of eke to funnel from the top lift to a brrod box, then try to smoke them up into it; or dismantle the hive on a sheet and shake them into a brood box/skep.

Good luck!

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
There will likely be comb by the morning. Find the queen and install her in the box along with some of the workers, preferably with a frame of open brood installed. The rest of the bees will follow.

RAB