swarm control using a nuce box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgid

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
what is the best way to use a nuce box for swarm control?.
regards paul

Now now, the ethos is kick the ball. Not the player.

Possibly in the book he got the chapter was missing, excremental filth does happen, and usually to me so I knows....LOL

PH

when you find queen cells split off a nuc with best cell and leave original colony as is w/o QCs.
voila - 2 colonies.

if well populated colony then could split off several nucs.

thanks drstitson that is the answer i was after as i have done normal swarm control with a spare hive the artifical swarm.as i have had the bee,s for five years i thought i may try somthing new.no thanks to ben p for sarcastic coments:rant:

thanks drstitson that is the answer i was after as i have done normal swarm control with a spare hive the artifical swarm.as i have had the bee,s for five years i thought i may try somthing new.no thanks to ben p for sarcastic coments:rant:

Sorry LOL. :cheers2:

Ben P

when you find queen cells split off a nuc with best cell and leave original colony as is w/o QCs.
voila - 2 colonies.

if well populated colony then could split off several nucs.

I am not sure about this.

Don’t you mean make up a nuc with old queen and then let the original hive re queen. You can if you wish to make one extra nuc with a queen cell providing you have the bees to spare.

Yes if you are happy that you have stopped the swarming instinct

tom - agree not textbook but worked for one of our newbies last april (new nuc mid april, QC end april - split to nuc and full colony - total yield for year 15+85 lbs.

Back