Swarm collected wont stay in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi guys i collected a swarm yesterday and shook in onto a sheet in front of the hive which contained only foundation (no drawn comb). Within seconds they headed toward the entrance, however they climbed up the front above the entrance and gathered. I have tried a little smoke to try and encourage them back down and in the door but each time they just gather above the entrance.

The swarm spent 2 days in a tree nearby before the person decided to mention to someone that they were there. So today is day three at least without any food.

Due to the swarm being on the front it makes it very difficult to get them into the brood box. I wish i had put them in the brood box in the first place.

I cant find the queen to try and place her inside either.

Any ideas please?

Make a brood box out of anything (supers will do).

Get a frame of brood from one of your other hives and stick it in the empty box (knock off the bees first).

Tip the swarm in the box with the frame of brood. Bees tend not to abandon brood. They should cluster on it. If they still abscond, rescue the frame and return it to the original colony.

I had this the other day. I had two swarms about 50yds apart. One went into the hive no problem. The other kept coming out and back into the cardboard box. Eventually they merged with the first swarm. I assumed it was a single swarm that had settled in two places and the first one contained the queen.

Are you sure there was a Queen in the swarm you collected?

SteveJ

I had this the other day. I had two swarms about 50yds apart. One went into the hive no problem. The other kept coming out and back into the cardboard box. Eventually they merged with the first swarm. I assumed it was a single swarm that had settled in two places and the first one contained the queen.

Are you sure there was a Queen in the swarm you collected?

SteveJ

Hi SteveJ

No not sure at all if the queen was present. I can understand them going back to the cardboard box though because they would have the scent on the box. As soon as i shook them on the sheet i took the box away from the area as a precaution.

Make a brood box out of anything (supers will do).

Get a frame of brood from one of your other hives and stick it in the empty box (knock off the bees first).

Tip the swarm in the box with the frame of brood. Bees tend not to abandon brood. They should cluster on it. If they still abscond, rescue the frame and return it to the original colony.

Hi Rae

The frame of brood from another hive does sound like a great idea, many thanks. I might try the supers as a temporary brood box until such times i get them settled.

Cheers

D

Is it worth the hassle "swam in July...." going to need alot of feeding. Try and unite with weak colony may be better.

and shook in onto a sheet in front of the hive

Good for a visual experience if it goes well but a bloody stupid idea in practice.

Just dump them all in a box with an old drawn comb or a comb of open brood from a hive that hasn't just swarmed.

Unless you are 100% sure it is a prime swarm then don't put a queen excluder between the box and the floor - the queen needs to fly as do the drones.

If they abscond then they have made their mind up where to go and there is nothing you can do about it.

Good for a visual experience if it goes well but a bloody stupid idea in practice.

Just dump them all in a box with an old drawn comb or a comb of open brood from a hive that hasn't just swarmed.

Unless you are 100% sure it is a prime swarm then don't put a queen excluder between the box and the floor - the queen needs to fly as do the drones.

If they abscond then they have made their mind up where to go and there is nothing you can do about it.

M100

Sadly no drawn comb available but like the idea of open brood.

No queen excluder involved at present.

And yes if they are going to go then good luck to them.

Cheers

SteveJ

Yes this does happen. Once they realise they will find the queen.

If the swarm has a queen and she is kept in the box by a queen excluder, then they will just get used to it. After a few days the excluder can be removed. If a virgin, she will have to stay put whilst the excluder is in place. However they do like brood as has been suggested already.

Latest posts

Back