swarm cells what next?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitbybit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I posted yesterday regarding one of my hives swarming, fortunately while I was trying to get up the tree to capture the cluster they returned to the hive. The only reason for this that I can think of is that the queen was clipped and did not make the flight. (This was not something I had thought to ask the nuc supplier:banghead:) I have now gone through the hive and have not found the queen, she was marked so even slimmed down for swarming I should be able to spot her. The hive is as follows:1st box - 3 frames of sealed and unsealed honey, 1 frame capped brood with 2 queencups in middle of frames lava in both, 1 frame half with capped brood half empty hatched cells, 1 frame mostly capped brood with some uncapped brood and 4 sealed queen cells - 2 in the middle of the frame 1 on the side of the frame and 1 on the bottom of the frame. 1 frame mostly sealed brood with some unsealed and 2 queencells on the bottom of the frame both sealed. 3 frames of capped and uncapped brood 4 empty playcups,1 frame mostly uncapped brood with 1 queencell in the middle of the frame with lava,1 frame mostly uncapped honey .
2nd box - 4 frames foundation, 1 frame drawn foundation, 2 frames drawn foundation with unsealed honey, 1 frame drawn foundation with a small amount of unsealed honey, 1 frame sealed and unsealed honey, 1 frame pollen and unsealed honey with some capped drone cells, 2 frames foundation with some drawn.
I would be delighted to hear my options. I have an empty hive from a second nuc that failed and access to land many miles away if required. I would like to go into next winter with a second colony but I will purcahse another nuc if splitting the hive makes no sense.

If you have charged queen cells then you could make up some nucs as you said your queen is no longer there.

Thanks Veg, but I am new to this. My main hive will need a queen so what do I leave to ensure that goes well? and what should I take to make nucs?

The swarm returned to this hive?

Re the queen, did you look under the hive?

I count 8 frames of brood in total so you could make up 2 nucs adding stores to each plus a QC ofc. I prefer to leave them one but you could leave two for insurance. If your other colony is in a position to donate, you could even get a third, combining all or some later to get the number you want to keep.

Thanks Swarm,
I went down to the OMF and had a good look around the front but not actually under the hive:hairpull: I will check again tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back