Swarm Cells, Play Cups or supercedure?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alynewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I hived a swarm two weeks ago. At my first inspection 7 days later they had drawn all the comb in the bb and I swore I had no eggs. Must have been my eyes because this inspection (14 days after first hiving them), I have 6 frames of sealed brood, and they have gone up into the super which I put on last week and drawn half of it and put lots of stores up there. All great stuff and the bees are really quiet and easy to inspect. But, on frame 5 of the bb (which is one in from the end of the brood nest), I have a small acorn shaped cup right in the middle of the frame. It's open, and there was a bee with it's head in it. When I blew the bees gently away and had a look in it, I couldn't see anything, but knowing my egg seeing skills, I'm not sure. Does the forum think planning to swarm, or supercedure preparations (or indeed something else!). I've no idea of the age of the queen but she did seem to be laying pretty well (from foundation to 6 frames in 14 days seems to be pretty good to me but I have nothing to compare with). All the sealed brood was flat topped with only a dozen or so of domed topped. Any words of wisdom would be greatfully received. Many thanks.

Sounds like you have a great Queen there. The queen cup in the middle of the frame is for a supersedure not a swarm. This doesn’t mean the bees will replace her. They are just thinking about it. The bees know best, if she is having problems they will use it. You might want to extend your inspections out to 10 days. They blame her for constant intrusions.
Jim

It is perfectly normal for brood frames to have play cups on them, I have dozens of them on mine. It means nothing, it does not mean for instance they have some master plan for the future. They just like to have them "just in case".

PH

Seeing eggs is a vital skill (and often easier than Q spotting!)....take a hand lens or even one with an led on. If the sun's overhead/light bad. Bees going past a play cup will stick their noses in whatever.

I had a large colony draw a cell mid-frame second frame a few weeks ago. It was marked and left.......next week there were half a dozen swarm cells. Mid-frame means just available space sometimes.

LOL the select masonic group of builders of play cups.... and the real High Priestesses, those with the ability to construct Swarm Cells!

PH

Seeing eggs is a vital skill (and often easier than Q spotting!)....take a hand lens or even one with an led on. If the sun's overhead/light bad.

Oh how I wish I could see my queen! Went through the frames twice today, thought a third might be pushing it a bit. I've looked at loads of pics on utube and on line and can spot her every time, but in my hive - no chance. I really want to mark her and am worried that if (or rather when) I have to find her to do swarm control I'll be up the swanny without a paddle! Got a magnifier though, going to put it in my bee box!

Seeing eggs is a vital skill (and often easier than Q spotting!)....take a hand lens or even one with an led on. If the sun's overhead/light bad.

Oh how I wish I could see my queen! Went through the frames twice today, thought a third might be pushing it a bit. I've looked at loads of pics on utube and on line and can spot her every time, but in my hive - no chance. I really want to mark her and am worried that if (or rather when) I have to find her to do swarm control I'll be up the swanny without a paddle! Got a magnifier though, going to put it in my bee box!

you could try to find her without smoking as smoke sometimes drives a queen down to the bottom

if you have a spare box, split the frames into two and cover both boxes for 30mins, the queen is in the calm brood box ( or use two supers as a box )

Last edited:
Fantastic all, thank you all for (once again) reducing my blood pressure and thanks MM for the advice re finding the queen. I've got a spare box and will try it. :)

How far in the north of Hampshire are you ?

My boys are usually better at spotting queens than me but we can come and have a look if you are stuck

Latest posts

Back